Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to block ports on a barrel?

MuayThaiJJ

Hey guys, wondering if there was a good way to block ports? My Schuemann barrel has 5 ports on the island and it eats up way too much heat from my loads. Would love to block 2 of the ports. Any tips or experience doing this?

thanks

N

9 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

What about this? Tap for threads, install allen-head plug screws that won't disrupt the rifling, then loctite.

Loctite will not hold up for long in that location.  Try welding.  Failing that I'd attach a cover over the two ports I wanted to close.  You would still have a Loctite problem, but much less than if you used screws in the ports.

I had a fellow shooter do that very thing. Another fellow shooter that does pistol work and is a retired aerospace welder drilled, tapped the ports, then tig welded the plugs. Finished up nice and the bore was fine.

11 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

What about this? Tap for threads, install allen-head plug screws that won't disrupt the rifling, then loctite.

That might prove tricky depending on if scheumann cut the ports since the hole profile of the ports in a factory ported (hybrid style) barrel are conical in profile.