Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rebuttal To Personal What I Hate(yes Mine)

hopalong

Had the first fire of the season last night. I'm right there with you. I'm not a big fan of cutting and hauling but I actually enjoy splitting it, some interesting parallels to shooting there because to do it right you've gotta have DVC...

just wish I had the 250 acres but right now with all the storm damage lots of folks are trying to give away wood in this area.

Don't quite have 250 acres but enough for us, we been having fires 3-4 nights a week for about a month. I definitely have to agree there's nothing like having a fire going.

My uncle put in a wood burning outdoor furnace that's heating his house and hot water (dropped his gas bill to about $5 a month in the winter). He's trying to talk me into it but I can't bring myself to replace a 2 year old furnace in a house of the same age just yet.

He's trying to talk me into it but I can't bring myself to replace a 2 year old furnace in a house of the same age just yet.

Don't replace it, add to it. We have a wood burner in the basement right next to the LP burner. It is tapped into our ductwork. On the coldest weekends, when I can keep it stoked, the LP unit (fairly new like j2fast) only comes on in the middle of the night. 20 acres keeps us supplied with fuel.

Don't replace it, add to it. We have a wood burner in the basement right next to the LP burner. It is tapped into our ductwork. On the coldest weekends, when I can keep it stoked, the LP unit (fairly new like j2fast) only comes on in the middle of the night. 20 acres keeps us supplied with fuel.

I haven't really looked seriously and hadn't really thought about small units, I'll have to check those out. I've just casually looked at the full blown outdoor units that'll take multiple 3 or 4 foot logs like my uncles. We've definitely got the wood to burn, if only the chainsaw fairly's would come cut some of it for me.. :D

I love wood heat! We heated this place entirely off firewood for the first seven years I lived here. Ran through about 4 cord of red fir a year. My folks would come visit us on Labor Day weekend and Dad and I would go at it with 8 lb splitting mauls and my mom and wife would stack. We would crank through the 4 cord in just over 2 days. It was hard work but I loved it.

I loved the crack of the wood. I loved the feel of the maul in my hands. I loved the ache in my back at the end of a day and the "honest tired" I felt each evening. I loved spending time with my dad. I even loved having a nearly 70 year old man work my 40 year old butt into the ground.

Dad grew up in the depression followed on by WWII and his family heated with wood entirely up until he was a sophomore in high school. Splitting wood reminds him of his childhood.

I replaced the wood stove with a pellet stove 3 years ago. All the nice warmth of wood heat without the mess or hassle. We can go to work and leave it running safely and come home to a warm house as opposed to coming home to a 40 degree house and spending 2 hours getting it up to livable again. Price-wise it works out about the same (I had my red fir cut and delivered in rounds as I didn't have the truck or the time to go get it myself).

But when the power goes out and the pellet stove goes down I remember the other great thing about the old wood stove....low tech rules!

so let me get this straight, you enjoy living some place where it get soo cold, you look forward to setting the inside of you house on fire :o

but then again, the only person who could afford 20 acre here is Oprah. :angry:

:lol::lol::lol:

:ph34r: barry :ph34r:

so let me get this straight, you enjoy living some place where it get soo cold, you look forward to setting the inside of you house on fire :o

Wouldn't trade it for anything.... :wub:;):D

Edit to add:

Although the company I work for may be opening an office somewhere in HI and I've got first dibs on visiting the islands on the company dime.....

Edited by j2fast

Wouldn't trade it for anything.... :wub:;):D

Edit to add:

Although the company I work for may be opening an office somewhere in HI and I've got first dibs on visiting the islands on the company dime.....

Kewl, let us know when and which island so you can shoot with us :)

Don't forget sunscreen when you visit B)

barry B)

Had some problems with one of our two wood stoves. Got it fixed Friday, and last night with one of the two stoves going it was 76 degrees in the house. A little to warm for me, but since I was burning free scrap wood that I get from work it felt great.

I normally don't turn the boiler on in the house until Jan., and if I can avoid it I would like to keep it off this entire winter. FWIW, I live in Northern IL, so the stoves wont keep up once it gets colder than -5 or so.