Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL powder drop sticking in up position

Having a bit of trouble with my powder drop on my Hornady LNL AP.  Using it with the PTX, and VV N320 powder to load 9mm.  This same thing happened a few thousand rounds ago.  I disassembled it, cleaned, used a bit of one shot dry lube, reassembled and it was good to go.  But I would prefer that I didn't have to take it apart every 2000 rounds / 2 months.  

Any advice?  Ideas on what is going on?

Thanks!

That does not sound right, I load much more than that and I hardly ever have to clean the drum or measure itself and I have yet to replace the return spring. (Which is as stiff as ever)  And that is loading a much finer ball powder as opposed to a stick powder like N320. (Lovex D032/Cleanshot/AA #2-ish)

If you have to clean and replace that often something is off and mine would have gone out of the window already. 

(I also have a 650 and a 550 but I choose to load half the calibers on the LnL so I don't have to change over calibers)

Can you see what it is sticking on? If rotated just wrong it can rub on the primer tube for instance.

Without a case, does it move up and down freely?

Other than thoroughly looking at what is causing it next time it happens it is hard to say from here.

I took it apart and cleaned it with a green scour pad dry.  Put a bit of Hornady Dry lube on a paper towel and wiped down the inside surfaces.  Fixed the problem.  If I have to do this even every 3,000 rounds, it's going out the window...

Basement is not the driest.  I have a humidifier running all the time.  That could have something to do with it.  

Also, I called and spoke with a tech at Hornady.  They are sending me a spring.  He said he uses powder graphite as a lubricant on his drum which does the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 12:22 PM, mpmo said:

He said he uses powder graphite as a lubricant on his drum which does the trick.

That's what I use in mine, I have never replaced the spring but very occasionally drop a little graphite in the hopper and work it through the powder measure.

About half way into this video he describes cleaning and lubeing his Hornady powder drop.

It is important that the metering insert not hit the powder body during the upstroke. I had the same problem before, even added another spring on the opposite side and it still got stuck. When I backed off the die where the is a little space between the insert and the body, it did not stick again.