Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding pro series seater die vs rcbs

Thinking of switching from the dillon seater die to Redding pro series (not competition with the micrometer adjustment) for 9mm. Reason being is it is a pita to adjust the whole die rather than stem when using new bullet profiles. 
But before I make the purchase I am wondering about using my old rcbs seater/crimp die instead. Is there a big quality difference between the two? I will only be using the seating feature for rcbs. 
If I can reduce my current oal variation of .008 that would be great too

btw this will be done on a Dillon 750. Did not know if I should post here or the dillon forum or the 9mm forum

Well from my point of view the Redding Pro Series seating die is worth the price.  I agree with you 100% that it is a pain to go thur the process required to adjust the OAL on a non-adjustable stem seating die as compared to the Redding.  I run one on my 650 and 1100 and if either were to break I would buy a replacement unit while the broken unit went back to Redding for fixing (Lifetime Warranty on their dies)…..

Now as for the Redding Pro Series/Micro adjustable Taper Crimp Die - this is another story….My brand new die just yesterday arrived back from Redding because of the three different 9mm rounds I load this die was sticking on all three. Redding was SUPER fast to respond to my email notifying them of my problem and told me to send the die back in its original packaging along with 3-4 dummy rounds that were loaded with this die that stuck.  So I paid the $9.00 shipping back to Redding and 10 calendar days later (very fast turn around IMO) I received an email stating my die was back in route to me…..

What was somewhat disturbing to me was the message in that email…..It read as follows: Mark, your die is in route back to you now. Your tracking # is xxxxxxxxxxx.  Please note that using the dummy rounds you provided we were not able to completely eliminate the sticking issue. We polished your die and this helped but did not completely eliminate the sticking you were experiencing.  Our recommendation is that while you are reloading you stop every 10 rounds or so and add a small amount of case lube to the projectile and the upper portion of the case just before it goes into the Redding Taper Crimp die….

Needless to say this will not occur…..I pay $75.00 for this die and this is what I have to do to keep it from sticking yet my factory Dillon taper crimp die used on both Dillon machines do not stick when I load these same exact rounds…..For now I will keep this die but going forward I will not purchase another Redding Micro-adjustable taper crimp die for anything I load - BUT - I do love Redding's Pro Series/Micro-Adjustable Seating Dies - Love Them and I have several and my next purchase is one for 6.5 Creedmoor…..

Sorry for going off subject to your question but I thought it was important to share….Money well spent on the Redding adjustable seating die for any caliber IMO…….

3 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Well from my point of view the Redding Pro Series seating die is worth the price.  I agree with you 100% that it is a pain to go thur the process required to adjust the OAL on a non-adjustable stem seating die as compared to the Redding.  I run one on my 650 and 1100 and if either were to break I would buy a replacement unit while the broken unit went back to Redding for fixing (Lifetime Warranty on their dies)…..

Now as for the Redding Pro Series/Micro adjustable Taper Crimp Die - this is another story….My brand new die just yesterday arrived back from Redding because of the three different 9mm rounds I load this die was sticking on all three. Redding was SUPER fast to respond to my email notifying them of my problem and told me to send the die back in its original packaging along with 3-4 dummy rounds that were loaded with this die that stuck.  So I paid the $9.00 shipping back to Redding and 10 calendar days later (very fast turn around IMO) I received an email stating my die was back in route to me…..

What was somewhat disturbing to me was the message in that email…..It read as follows: Mark, your die is in route back to you now. Your tracking # is xxxxxxxxxxx.  Please note that using the dummy rounds you provided we were not able to completely eliminate the sticking issue. We polished your die and this helped but did not completely eliminate the sticking you were experiencing.  Our recommendation is that while you are reloading you stop every 10 rounds or so and add a small amount of case lube to the projectile and the upper portion of the case just before it goes into the Redding Taper Crimp die….

Needless to say this will not occur…..I pay $75.00 for this die and this is what I have to do to keep it from sticking yet my factory Dillon taper crimp die used on both Dillon machines do not stick when I load these same exact rounds…..For now I will keep this die but going forward I will not purchase another Redding Micro-adjustable taper crimp die for anything I load - BUT - I do love Redding's Pro Series/Micro-Adjustable Seating Dies - Love Them and I have several and my next purchase is one for 6.5 Creedmoor…..

Sorry for going off subject to your question but I thought it was important to share….Money well spent on the Redding adjustable seating die for any caliber IMO…….

Thanks for the detailed reply! 
im curious how much fine tune/adjustable the pro series die is to other seating dies with adjustable stems? It is a detent click? How precisely does it adjust?

5 hours ago, datderecelltech said:

If I can reduce my current oal variation of .008 that would be great too

Wouldn't plan on that. OAL variability got worse when I bought the Redding adjustable seating die - called Redding and they said that some folks get better results when they remove the spring inside the die (depends upon specifics of bullets and brass) - did that and variability went back to where it was. Else, thought of it as money well spent, like the o.p. I hated adjusting seating depth without it.

2 hours ago, datderecelltech said:

Thanks for the detailed reply! 
im curious how much fine tune/adjustable the pro series die is to other seating dies with adjustable stems? It is a detent click? How precisely does it adjust?

No clicks. Just very fine threads and a knurled nut to tighten.