Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger barrel vs weight vs comp

Squirrel45

Hi All, 

I currently shoot a Ruger MK IV 22/24 stock barrel. What would be the advantages of going to a Volquartsen barrel 4.5" or 6" the one that is tap and drilled for sights. Does having a lighter barrel really help with transitions, or do they feel to light and shaky? 

thanks 

Squirrel 

S, you would transition faster with a lighter barrel and an up port comp.  You want balance.  That is more important than weight.  For years I shot a full race Buckmark with light Tacsol Trail-lite 5.5" fluted barrel and a comp.  Ran like a dream.

26 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

ZZT, 

You mentioned the Tacsol barrel, I did a bit of research on them and they seem very light, was yours in the 8oz range? What would I do if its too light? 

thanks! 

Squirrel 

It wasn't too light.  The steel barrel was too heavy even after I had it deeply fluted.  I thought the unfluted Tacsol barrel was a little too front heavy.  The fluted with a light comp was perfect.  My gun had Aluminum grips, a Picatinny rail and a reflex red dot.  The balance point was right over the middle finger of my grip hand.  That felt perfect.  With a two hand grip it was rock steady and moved like lightening.

My wife appropriated that gun and shoots it now.  I'm currently running a custom 1911 receiver with a CWA custom 22 conversion.  It is not as light as the Buckmark, but it moves just as quickly.  That's because the balance is perfect.  I want the weight in my hand, not hanging off the front.

I like a heavier barrel in RFPO. I currently shoot a Ruger MK lV 5.5 bull barrel with a SIG Romeo 6 MOA. A light gun may move faster in transitions, but that doesn't always make for smooth and accurate transitions. Getting to a target fast does little good if you swing beyond it, or trigger a shot before it. You still have to make the miss up. I find the heavier barrel makes for (at least for me in A Class) smoother and more precise transitions. YMMV.

seems like personal preference to me. as a grown man who also shoots 4 lb uspsa guns, a couple extra ounces on a 22 is not going to be significant in terms of transitions. I personally like the ruger bull barrel, and that's what I shoot best with, and I never have to clean the comp, and it's quieter so I can wear crappy earpro and not be annoyed

• 2 weeks later...

I opted for a MKIV lite 22/45 rather than use my SW M41 for ease of maintenance and available options...., friend gave me a comp (don't remember if it was VQ or TK) and did not like the feel,... my cousin machined a barrel weight 1" x 1 3/4" with .270 hole... smoothed out my swing... personal choice... with one shot on target and the large window 510c, I find that I don't really notice any muzzle flip... regards Les L747

002 (22).JPG

Edited by Les Snyder