Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question about gold bead front sight options

Guitarmageddon

Currently I am really enjoying shooting the vortex on my r8. Eventually I may go back to irons just for kicks. I really like those LPA rear sights , and may do a gold bead like you find on the 325 thunder ranch or many other examples.

I'm a little bit apprehensive of doing some of the drilling required that I see in some of the how-to videos. Is there a factory option that is already drilled where I simply just have to punch a new Pin in? I see the SDM ones get pretty high praise but those require drilling. Or is drilling a requirement when messing with any front sight? Here is what I have stock.

Also, even if I don't go gold bead and go fiber, is it all a mandatory drilling there too?

CzUsYfE.jpg

Edited by Guitarmageddon

The front sight on your gun doesn’t require any tools to remove or install. You just slide it back and pull it up, it’s held in by a spring and pointed cap. Google Smith DX/Classic and you’ll probably find some videos on it. 

There’s gold bead fronts that came on 45s that will just pop right in there. Also SDM and Dawson are popular. SDM if you like a huge, bright fiber, and Dawson for a more clear, precise image. 

1 hour ago, MWP said:

The front sight on your gun doesn’t require any tools to remove or install. You just slide it back and pull it up, it’s held in by a spring and pointed cap. Google Smith DX/Classic and you’ll probably find some videos on it. 

There’s gold bead fronts that came on 45s that will just pop right in there. Also SDM and Dawson are popular. SDM if you like a huge, bright fiber, and Dawson for a more clear, precise image. 

Oh I didn't think I had that type. I fiddled with it for a minute but couldn't get it to move. I'll give it another go

You grab the front of the sight blade and pull back and up. Some of them are pretty tight, but that's how they come out. If there's an 1/8" hole just below the sight blade on the front of the barrel, you have a clip on Classic style sight. In some cases, you may need to put the sight blade in a vise and use the gun for leverage. Normally, they are a lot easier than that.

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

Yep.

Ok well that was easy. I just noticed though that the midway item I linked above was .025 higher. Sdm was .250 and the stock below was .227. will it be noticeable having to adjust the rear to compensate? A taller front site would coincide with bringing my impacts down. Just wasn't sure if .025 morheight would really make me run out of adjustment room

. uanKA4v.jpg

Edited by Guitarmageddon

You’ll bring the rear up .023ish.

Have a look at an aftermarket rear as well. Bowen’s are typically considered the top of the options. 

And try a Dawson .125/.215 as well. Nice that you can swap sights so easily on that gun, it’s easy to try all the options. The SDM is a very bright front sight, great for going fast and point shooting, but the sight picture is sometimes overpowered by how bright that fiber is. 

You can run out of adjustment on the Rear Sight with the wrong height FS.  I like to pick a FS height that allows the RS to be a couple of full turns above bottoming out.

That allows changing bullet weights, powders and charges, and power factors without changing FS's.

I don't like the Gold Dot as much as the FO FS's.  I'll usually paint a serrated FS red before I'll use a GD FS.

Edited by pskys2

Well I went with the SDM green fiber front. Still mulling my options for rears currently.

Damn the green is bright when it collects light! I like it. It is just a slight bit longer than the previous sight, and you can see it overhangs a little but not a huge deal to me. Not sure if there are shorter versions of the same sight I couldve bought. I know there are height/width variations though.

iqX3DUE.jpg

J3qhmwT.jpg

h9hM38G.jpggGn0Wcm.jpg

You can click on the dealer forum link at the bottom of every post to see all the products.

The .125 width is a close fit in a .125 notch, with a thin amount of light on each side. This is the standard setup for all S&W revolvers out of the box. The .100 wide front has a bit more light gap that helps you get lined up faster for competition shooting on the clock.

We have Red, Green, and Orange fibers. My personal guns have orange front and green rear. Green is the brightest, Orange is a close second, and Red is fairly dim by comparison.