Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire using targets

bababoris

I purchased a set of replica USPSA targets.  Was wondering if anyone here uses them and how.  I am leaning towards taping them up in my back yard and making a makeshift stage so I can move and work on acquiring an accurate and quick sight picture.  TIA for your input. 

Edited by bababoris

15 minutes ago, Kokeman said:

I 3d printed some in different sizes and tape them to the walls in the basement. The different sizes simulates different distances. Works pretty good working on transitions. 

Ok thanks.  That’s how I think i think I am going to approach it.

Hi, I'm using the indoors. The smaller size is meant to replicate larger targets at a smaller distance. I only use them to get subconsciously used to all types of different target types and to get high levels of repetition and train fundamental skills and techniques (amongst others ASP + calling shots), not really in stages.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Small scale targets are great for simulating different distances. Be carful not to overcomplicate your dryfire for the sake of making it interesting. I've found that you can simulate most match conditions with very small sets ups in dryfire.

• 2 months later...

Make sure you place them at different heights. I've found a target at eye level for me is super easy to get a sight picture but a one at shin height takes slightly longer to find my sights. And at matches at least here they like to have a couple of really low targets.

• 1 month later...

Make sure you also place them at different distances as well. its fine if you use smaller targets to simulate tougher/farther shots but if the are all on one focal plane (say against a wall) you are not practicing changing your focal depth at all.

its best to have some physically closer and some physically further away to ensure you are practicing this....even when using scaled targets.

If you dont, you are likely going to be a bit slow when transitioning between targets of different distances

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've used the different size targets for awhile,   how would one focus on speeding up transitions in dry fire..  it feels like I'm only able to practice that under recoil when I can ride it.

• 4 weeks later...

Lately, I've been using the Go Fast Don't Suck "Match Mode Dry Fire Travel Set" reusable decals.  The decals can be easily moved around, like heavy duty "Post It Notes." There is a mix of USPSA, IPSC (including partials & no shoots), & steel, in both 1/3 & 1/6 scale.

https://gofastdontsuck.net/swag-store/Match-Mode-Dry-Fire-Travel-Set-USPSA-IPSC-p157993036

I also have their 1/6 scale swinger:  https://gofastdontsuck.net/swag-store/Dry-Fire-Swinger-Tabletop-p395808896

Edited by ReconNav

• 2 weeks later...