Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun longevity

glocklover

I had someone ping me on this one so I'll respond.  This depends on a few things, the material used/manufacturer of parts and the fit.  Some of the lower end massed produced open guns use MIM parts while most custom guns use better parts, made with better processes and materials.  If you want a gun to last a long time you need to use high quality parts from reputable manufacturers.  

The builder and fit is super important.  The timing of the gun and how they fit parts is a big deal for reliability and longevity of the gun.  Ask your open gun friends and ask them how many rounds they have on the gun and how it runs for them.  Also ask how they care for the gun.....if someone never changes parts or springs, cleans it, tunes mags etc. it's not a good representative of the builder/quality of the gun.  I've had 2 guns break under 20-30k rounds (frame cracks, slide cracks, barrel splitting, etc), bad parts and poor timing/fit.  I've also had guns go 60k (and still running) with good parts, good fit, and regular maintenance.  

For open (and any division really) if you want to be competitive and not pull out all of your hair you need AT LEAST 2 guns.  1 match and 1 practice.  Buy 1 gun, shoot it up to 10k or a little more, buy a backup, now make the first gun your match gun, break in your backup up to 10k then decide which you like the feel of more.  Now make that the match gun, the other gun the backup.  Every year buy a new gun (put deposit down to avoid waiting all season with your preferred builder) with the same exact specs and make that your new match gun once tested.  

Bottom line.  Pick a builder that uses good parts, good reputation, and builds them correctly (fit well, timing, etc).  Things break, but some have parts break far less than others.  Take note, buy accordingly and enjoy the game.  Good luck :)

On 7/27/2021 at 12:47 PM, csailer said:

I had someone ping me on this one so I'll respond.  This depends on a few things, the material used/manufacturer of parts and the fit.  Some of the lower end massed produced open guns use MIM parts while most custom guns use better parts, made with better processes and materials.  If you want a gun to last a long time you need to use high quality parts from reputable manufacturers.  

The builder and fit is super important.  The timing of the gun and how they fit parts is a big deal for reliability and longevity of the gun.  Ask your open gun friends and ask them how many rounds they have on the gun and how it runs for them.  Also ask how they care for the gun.....if someone never changes parts or springs, cleans it, tunes mags etc. it's not a good representative of the builder/quality of the gun.  I've had 2 guns break under 20-30k rounds (frame cracks, slide cracks, barrel splitting, etc), bad parts and poor timing/fit.  I've also had guns go 60k (and still running) with good parts, good fit, and regular maintenance.  

For open (and any division really) if you want to be competitive and not pull out all of your hair you need AT LEAST 2 guns.  1 match and 1 practice.  Buy 1 gun, shoot it up to 10k or a little more, buy a backup, now make the first gun your match gun, break in your backup up to 10k then decide which you like the feel of more.  Now make that the match gun, the other gun the backup.  Every year buy a new gun (put deposit down to avoid waiting all season with your preferred builder) with the same exact specs and make that your new match gun once tested.  

Bottom line.  Pick a builder that uses good parts, good reputation, and builds them correctly (fit well, timing, etc).  Things break, but some have parts break far less than others.  Take note, buy accordingly and enjoy the game.  Good luck :)

Will do. Thanks.

I just ran across a picture of me from the 2004 Steel Challenge.  I'm shooting the same Dawson open guns there as I do now (I got a pair way back when).  Of course they're both on it's their 2nd slides and maybe 3rd barrel each.  Those usually need replacing every 70K or so.