Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prefab/store-bought reloading benches

Fishbreath

I'm planning to upgrade from my trusty turret press to a progressive press as this year goes on, and that means I should probably upgrade from my current 'clamp it to my workbench' attachment method, too.

My workbench is pretty cramped, and a permanently-attached press isn't going to work, so I think that means it's time to get a dedicated reloading bench. I can build one if it comes to that, but I'd prefer instead to get something I can take out of a box, assemble, and get rolling with. Something small (no more than about 4' wide), rigid, and mobile would be ideal—I don't have a lot of workshop space, and I either need a compact reloading setup, or one I can move out of the way when I'm doing other big projects.

Any recommendations?

This is what I would get:

https://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/collections/workbenches/products/4-adjustable-height-hardwood-workbench

I have the 6’ version, it’s very stable.  You can get an 8’ 2x12 and cut in half to make a shelf underneath.  This is where I store bullets which adds weight and stability to the bench.

I don’t think anything with wheels will offer enough stability.

I have a wood bench from menards. It has the upper bench and a lower shelf. I also bought one of the banchan tops from them and put that on top. The 1×4s for the bottom shelf are very flimsy. I'm going to swap those for 2×4 at some point but it seems to be good. I just dont put a lot PF bullets in the middle of the lower shelf. 

On 6/27/2021 at 8:13 AM, CharlieD said:

This is what I would get:

https://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/collections/workbenches/products/4-adjustable-height-hardwood-workbench

I have the 6’ version, it’s very stable.  You can get an 8’ 2x12 and cut in half to make a shelf underneath.  This is where I store bullets which adds weight and stability to the bench.

I don’t think anything with wheels will offer enough stability.

+1 for the Gladiator. I have the 6' & 8' versions of this bench and they're super solid, easy to assemble, & good quality. I thought about making my own bench but by the time I found a good top, it pretty much cost the same as the Gladiator anyway. And the legs are solid & nice too.

Charlie's shelf idea sounds good, but I just store other tools, a shopvac, coolers, etc under mine.