Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where on the case feeder do you mount the MBF on an RL 1100?

The Dillon case feeders are pretty sensitive, and if you overload them, they just won't run.  I have four or five of the latest style and no way do they run with 400 in the hopper.  Maybe 200 or 250 seems to be about the max.  I also have one with the high speed ammobot (I think) motor, and that will handle more than the Dillon, but still not 400.  For the MBF, it'll take what you can fit.  Basically, if you put too many in they start to fall over the sides or mess up the feeding/flipper function, so that ends up being the determining factor.

2 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

The Dillon case feeders are pretty sensitive, and if you overload them, they just won't run.  I have four or five of the latest style and no way do they run with 400 in the hopper.  Maybe 200 or 250 seems to be about the max.  I also have one with the high speed ammobot (I think) motor, and that will handle more than the Dillon, but still not 400.  For the MBF, it'll take what you can fit.  Basically, if you put too many in they start to fall over the sides or mess up the feeding/flipper function, so that ends up being the determining factor.

Yikes. I bought my press in 2007 and the casefeeder on my 1050 will comfortably handle 500+ 9mm cases before the clutch slips.

You can adjust the clutch mechanism on the feed plate and that helps some.  But I've had easily more than a dozed different Dillon case feeders over the years and never had one that would handle anything close to 500.  So, I dunno. 

3 hours ago, ddc said:

Yeah that is a weak point. I've never counted but mine will stall fairly easily with what seems like not that many cases.  And that is with a new replacement motor after the first one crapped out.

Mine was the new variable speed and still too weak. Once it craps out, I’ll replace it with one of the brushless motors I have for my RC buggies.

I think the stock motor is either a 540 or 550 Mabuchi- type but I can say for sure unless I take it off of the circuit board. I can probably wire up one of my digital ESC (electronic speed controller) so it can match up with the brushless motor replacement. 

These are some of the spare motors I have for my RCs:

970-B8-F78-DEAC-4335-896-C-FC80-E2-D9-E9

ESC:

027-ED67-E-8-C13-4-E36-B647-BE1-A3-B1-BF

Edited by George16

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

For the MBF, it'll take what you can fit.  Basically, if you put too many in they start to fall over the sides or mess up the feeding/flipper function, so that ends up being the determining factor.

I recently put a few too many in the MBF, and had my FIRST bullet that fell on the case upside down!

So now, I try to put about 200 (9mm JHP) at a time as that seems to settle things down.  I also keep a .45acp fmj bullet in the hopper to make sure the last ones feed out.

😉

1 hour ago, George16 said:

Mine was the new variable speed and still too weak. Once it craps out, I’ll replace it with one of the brushless motors I have for my RC buggies.

I think the stock motor is either a 540 or 550 Mabuchi- type but I can say for sure unless I take it off of the circuit board. I can probably wire up one of my digital ESC (electronic speed controller) so it can match up with the brushless motor replacement. 

Please post an update when you do this.  Should be interesting.

15 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Please post an update when you do this.  Should be interesting.

I sure will. I was about to do it on my other case feeder but I ended up selling it with my XL650.

I know for a fact the brushless motors I have produce more torque compared to the stock casefeeder motor since I was able  run my 14# electric truggy up to 72 mph using 6S LiPo batteries.