Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where on the case feeder do you mount the MBF on an RL 1100?

Ok, I give up, where on the case feeder are you guys mounting the Mr. Bullet Feeder for optimal performance?  Which way is it facing?  Boy, they sure don't give you a ton of room for the MBF die next to the powder measure and primer tube.  An extra 1/8" or so between dies would have been nice.

Thanks,

-Cuz

6 hours ago, Cuz said:

Ok, I give up, where on the case feeder are you guys mounting the Mr. Bullet Feeder for optimal performance?  Which way is it facing?  Boy, they sure don't give you a ton of room for the MBF die next to the powder measure and primer tube.  An extra 1/8" or so between dies would have been nice.

Thanks,

-Cuz

Cuz:

As an option, I mounted the MBF "off press" and it totally isolated the bullet feeder from any press/case feeder vibrations/fluctuations.  Have had ZERO PROBLEMS with it mounted in this fashion.

MBF Mount.png

Like he said, works better off the press with no vibration.   There are a couple of threads showing different variations of stand alone mounts like above.  Below are some photos of my setup.  Prior to this I had them mounted on the case feed at about 10 o'clock so towards the back.  But I don't think the actual location is too critical.  The main concern is the angle of the collator and that usually takes some trial and error to dial in.

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

I didn’t realize how high the case and bullet feeder would end up. I need a small step ladder to get to them. 

why is it better to mount the bullet feeder off the press. How do the vibrations affect it?

Depends on how solid your press is mounted.  I initially had mine on a makeshift bench, so the whole thing tended to vibrate with each stroke and rotation.  If the vibration is bad enough it can affect the feed and flip functions of the MBF.  Personally, I finally got around to building a big bench to fit all my machines and now everything is rock solid and bolted to the wall.  So nothing vibrates at all.  I did the stand alone mounts because I never liked the Rube Goldberg hockey puck design or having the thing hanging off the case feeder.  Plus, adjusting it was a pain in the butt.  With the stand alone mounts I built, I can rotate or remove the entire collator by loosening a single set screw, and I can adjust the angle of the collator with a single cap screw.  Plus, I like how it looks.

28 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

OK ltdmstr, what exactly is that? 

The black part I made from flat stock (11g steel) to mount on the bottom of the collator in place of the rods that came with it.  It's shaped to clear the motor and has threaded holes that match up with those in the bottom plate of the collator.  The stainless swivel portion I bought online.  It mounts on the post and allows me to adjust the angle of the collator with that one socket head cap screw.

Cuz - When I had my Mark7 unit I mounted my MBF exactly like HogRider’s picture shows using this inexpensive but solid mounting bracket….This allows you to set the height that works for you.  Also if you order be sure to select the unit for the 3/4” ROUND pipe mount. I bought threaded black pipe and the needed end caps and in line connectors at my local Lowes….Mark

https://rangepanda.com/collections/misc-products/products/mr-bullet-feeder-pipe-mount

Edited by Sigarmsp226

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Cuz - When I had my Mark7 unit I mounted my MBF exactly like HogRider’s picture shows using this inexpensive but solid mounting bracket….This allows you to set the height that works for you.  Also if you order be sure to select the unit for the 3/4” ROUND pipe mount. I bought threaded black pipe and the needed end caps and in line connectors at my local Lowes….Mark

https://rangepanda.com/collections/misc-products/products/mr-bullet-feeder-pipe-mount

thanks, I think I’ll order one of those today, but the flat version because I have the newer style MBF mount with the flat bars. 

Cuz, the path the "feed spring" takes from collator to the bullet feeder die can have a bearing on how the die operates.

The issue is that the lateral pressure that the spring puts on the die can result in erratic operation.

The more vertical you can get that spring, especially the last few inches before the die, the better it will operate.

Alternatively there are aftermarket solutions involving a spring which helps ensure the die retracts to it's lowest position on every cycle.

The issue seems to be somewhat die dependent. I have one die that is very forgiving and I have one that needs assistance.

Edited by ddc

You also want to make sure the spring tube is slack enough that it doesn't cause any resistance to the movement of the dropper.  If it does, you'll get doubles.  It's critical that the dropper moves freely with no hangups.

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

thanks, I think I’ll order one of those today, but the flat version because I have the newer style MBF mount with the flat bars. 

Cuz - The round vs. flat relates not to the type of MBF you have but rather what type of material (round pipe or a piece of flat stock steel) you are going to mount the bracket too.....Hang tight - I will walk out and get you a couple f pictures showing my newer model MBF mounted using this type mount on a 3/4" black pipe.  

I have mine sitting off to the side waiting on the arrival of my RL1100 - that is why it is sitting where it is in these photos.  You can also see how my pole is mounted to my bench - I have a base flange on the top and bottom that is secured by screws into my reloading bench top and another one on the top of this black pipe that mounts into a  3/4" thick piece of plyboard that is above my bench - yep I mounted the upper 3/4" plyboard based on the needed height to make the pipe and the flange adapter fit perfectly.  Mark

AC22-CE25-3398-4-E17-93-DA-09-E37-F5-D78

D1-C0-F2-C1-36-D4-4-DFA-83-D7-E1-DFFE4-F

70-D51-FBD-E8-ED-4334-B8-A2-AEF831-C06-B

EDA929-EB-8-CD5-4683-BEE9-3-F8058-E3278-

Edited by Sigarmsp226

3 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Cuz - The round vs. flat relates not to the type of MBF you have but rather what type of material (round pipe or a piece of flat stock steel) you are going to mount the bracket too.....Hang tight - I will walk out and get you a couple f pictures showing my newer model MBF mounted using this type mount on a 3/4" black pipe.  

I have mine sitting off to the side waiting on the arrival of my RL1100 - that is why it is sitting where it is in these photos.  You can also see how my pole is mounted to my bench - I have a base flange on the top and bottom that is secured by screws into my reloading bench top and another one on the top of this black pipe that mounts into a  3/4" thick piece of plyboard that is above my bench - yep I mounted the upper 3/4" plyboard based on the needed height to make the pipe and the flange adapter fit perfectly.  Mark

I'm not so sure about that.  I just checked the RangePanda website, and they have 2 pics showing whether to order the flat or round, and on the site he says:

"MUST SPECIFY WHAT STYLE YOU HAVE. FLAT VS ROUND. Please see pics."

Then he has these 2 pics which lead me to believe I need to order the flat one.

89437617_908008826308146_232910520492385

89429490_2759257920822483_78290604122963

Edited by Cuz

21 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Dang - You are right Cuz - I guess I just got lucky when I was ordering my bracket and ordered the right one…Sorry for the confusion I almost created for you there….Was not intentional….. Mark

Ha, no problem.  I ordered it, now gotta get to Home Depot and score some 3/4" pipe.  I may try to hang it down from the ceiling, or out from the wall, rather than straight up from the countertop.

I wonder if 1/2” pipe will work as well as 3/4” pipe to mount the MBF?

My local Home Depot didn’t have the right length, so I bought 1/2” pipe instead. It certainly looks strong enough to support the MBF hanging down from the ceiling. 

2 minutes ago, Cuz said:

My local Home Depot didn’t have the right length, so I bought 1/2” pipe instead. It certainly looks strong enough to support the MBF hanging down from the ceiling. 

Home Depot will cut and thread pipe for free. I think you get 4 cuts for free. At least I did when I bought a 10 foot piece to make some pipe clamps.

27 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I used a 1" flange base, 1"x24" pipe, a 1"to 3/4" bell reducer, and a 3/4"x12" nipple.  Gave me the perfect height!  Should be available at any hardware store.........

Got mine at Lowe's.

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

38 minutes ago, Cuz said:

The 1/2” is quite flimsy. I tried it and didn’t like the result so I returned the 1/2” and a 3/4” diameter pipe. It’s a lot sturdier and more stable.

Thanks all,

I will check both Lowe’s and Hope Depot next week after I get the RangePanda bracket. I’m sure one of them will have the 3/4” black pipe by then. If not, I’ll ask them about curtains threading a longer piece. 

While we are on the subject of bullet and case feeders, about how many 9mm Bullets and cases do you put in each hopper?  Do you fill them up?  Or do they work better at 1/2 capacity?  Or something else?

thanks,

-Cuz

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

While we are on the subject of bullet and case feeders, about how many 9mm Bullets and cases do you put in each hopper?  Do you fill them up?  Or do they work better at 1/2 capacity?  Or something else?

thanks,

-Cuz

I put 200 bullets at a time and about 400 cases. The case feeder won’t run when it’s full. The motor is weak and can’t rotate the plate. 

1 hour ago, George16 said:

I put 200 bullets at a time and about 400 cases. The case feeder won’t run when it’s full. The motor is weak and can’t rotate the plate. 

Yeah that is a weak point. I've never counted but mine will stall fairly easily with what seems like not that many cases.  And that is with a new replacement motor after the first one crapped out.