Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Shell Plate Detent Ball/Spring = crushed primers

I recently "upgraded" my 650 to use the phenolic ball and lighter spring for the shellplate index.   I soon started getting crushed (sideways) primers intermittently.  Cleaning everything, shellplate, primer ring etc didn't seem to help.   While watching the shellplate index, it didn't always get all the way home.   The shellplate notches were not centered on the primer punch at station 2 on occasion.   

Loading 9mm using WSP.

I re-installed the Dillon OEM steel ball and spring and all seems well.   

I believe that most of these aftermarket "upgrades" are often not necessary and may as you found out introduce problems.

Most issues can be solved by proper adjustment and a good cleaning especially if it has been a while.

Can a particular problem benefit from an aftermarket solution? Sure, but I'd exhaust the cleaning and adjustment possibilities first.

1 hour ago, ddc said:

I believe that most of these aftermarket "upgrades" are often not necessary and may as you found out introduce problems.

Most issues can be solved by proper adjustment and a good cleaning especially if it has been a while.

Can a particular problem benefit from an aftermarket solution? Sure, but I'd exhaust the cleaning and adjustment possibilities first.

Fully agree, after 25 years reloading on an SDB, the OEM parts are the ones I have found most reliable.

4 hours ago, Farmer said:

Have you tried the lighter spring with your factory ball? That phenolic ball probably has quite a bit more drag to it. 

No, I haven't.   It's back to OEM in that area now.   I wanted to try out the aftermarket but now I'm sticking with the OEM for the detent.  

If you have an index bearing cam block it it most likely not adjusted properly. The adjustment is difficult to get perfect. I had two different brands and after thousands of rounds of frustration I installed the OE block. Perfect adjustment in a minute and I absolutely can not feel the difference of having a roller or not. All the other upgrades are worth it. Roller index bearings are waste of money and more importantly a waste of time. 

3 hours ago, conditionone said:

If you have an index bearing cam block it it most likely not adjusted properly. The adjustment is difficult to get perfect. I had two different brands and after thousands of rounds of frustration I installed the OE block. Perfect adjustment in a minute and I absolutely can not feel the difference of having a roller or not. All the other upgrades are worth it. Roller index bearings are waste of money and more importantly a waste of time. 

Thank you for the feedback.   I did install one of those roller cam blocks at the same time.   I *thought* I had it adjusted right.  Maybe not. :)   Thanks again!!!