Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building A Open Gun

Glock17open

I am interested in building an open gun.  I have an open gun, but looking for the next one.  In the link below, is a fitted upper.  I would like to know if anyone has used this as platform to start a build.  I also want opinions on Brazos, as far as quality.

http://www.1911store.com/Shortblock-BCG-Open-lightning-5--LDC-fram-Unique-slide-Bull-barrel-1-1.aspx

Brazos is top notch.  Read the post linked above.  I'll add to what I said noting I did decide to add poppels.  Bob uses four 1/8" poppels.  I decided on there 5/32" poppels, because the have the same total area as the two 3/16" poppels on my other two guns.  They do make the gun flatter at the expense of a harder hit to the hand.  His comp is super efficient, so if you have more grip strength than I have (almost none) try it without poppels first.  It is softer.  BTW, having the three ports put in cost me a whopping $25 from my machinist buddy.

BTW2, I'm running a 10 lb. recoil spring and the 17 lb. mainspring that came with the kit.  I shot about 50 rounds function testing and sighting in.  I shot 2 1/2 matches with it after that with no cleaning or additional lube.  It ran 100%.  So I'm going to finish blending and send it out for finishing.

BTW3, the first three Open guns all had removeable comps.  All shot loose at one point or another.  The current three all have one piece barrels/comps.  No fuss; no bother.  I'll never go back to two piece.

4 hours ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

It’s fitted by barsto, which means it’s top notch.... I have irv fit all my guns and they all run amazing. 

Nonsense.  It is fitted by Bob L as part of the Brazos SB package.  Barsto makes the one piece comp/barrel specifically for Bob and it DOES require a LOT of fitting.

Edited by zzt

Love my Brazos short block kit. The slide to frame and barrel to slide fit are superb. No play. He reamed the barrel for me to be able to load to long.

All the holes machined in the frame are perfect and not crooked which is huge problem with some custom gunsmiths.

Best bang for your buck to get into open division. If you have knowledge of fitting small parts and grip it's totally worth it

I've seen a few of Bob's new limited guns that he uses the Cheely grips on and they ran great. I personally have 3 of his new slides, 2 in 9mm and 1 in 40 I used for a build and they are 100% the absolute best slides on the market. Dont care what anyone says getting a slide that is in spec and the rails are straight and true is almost impossible. Bob's were nearly identical.  I'd assume his open guns are same quality.