Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Capacity Tec Loaders?

George

I recently saw some 6 round Tec loader sticks at the US3G that Ronald Walter Fihlo had made. I did not get a chance to examine them closely, or ask questions on their construction, but did see enough to feel confident in attempting it on my own.

It looked like it was done by taking a pair of 4x sticks and cutting the back end off one and the front end off another, then glueing the two pieces together using an oversized plastic tube as a splint sleeve and then slotting it to allow the plunger to pass.

Seems to me the only tricks involved would be in getting the cut lengths right so the number of rounds will fit without too much slop and making sure enough of the front of the rear tube was removed to get rid of the ridges that are at the tip of the tube to keep shells from slipping out. If those ridges were left in the middle of the newly extended tube it would seem to me that they would create too much friction. I also guess that chamfering the cut ends of the original tubes so no boundary lip would catch shell rims would be a wise step.

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the type of plastic tube to use as the "splint" and what cements would be optimum. I am initially ooking at PVC tube for the "splint" and epoxy for the glue. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1. Use PVC pipe with JBWeld "ears" for your Excaliber TecLoader, ala Our Hero Don Bednorz :)

2. Use stainless steel tubing with welded ears (easy enough with a machine shop at hand ;) )

3. Buy a technologically advanced shotgun that uses (gasp) detachable magazines :ph34r:

Alex

Thanks Alex,

For option 1, are you saying that Don made all new tubes instead of combining sawed off Armstec tubes like I saw RWF had done?

As far as 3 goes, I will hafta' stick with the 1-2 route(s) because I am in California where the USAS and the Saiga hicaps are apparently not allowed in the USA ;-/

BTW, I was thinking on the round count and wind up with 6 rounds as a good choice as long as 10 round magazine tubes are mandated in open here (11 total loaded to start actually, but pretty much the same end result on gear). You would have to pretty much shoot dry for 10's to work right (who can tell when only 1 is left in the chamber reliably?), then you have to cycle it manually to get going again. 8 means that you have to know for sure that there are under 3 in the tube. Same for 7. 6 says that I can stuff one in with more surety of not having too many in the tube and it's still a good up from 4 at a time.

Any other thoughts on round count in extended tubes for here in the US? I know there are some nice custom ten rounders available from the UK, but world IPSC doesn't limit capacity in open like we do.

I recently saw some 6 round Tec loader sticks at the US3G that Ronald Walter Fihlo had made. I did not get a chance to examine them closely, or ask questions on their construction, but did see enough to feel confident in attempting it on my own.

It looked like it was done by taking a pair of 4x sticks and cutting the back end off one and the front end off another, then glueing the two pieces together using an oversized plastic tube as a splint sleeve and then slotting it to allow the plunger to pass.

Seems to me the only tricks involved would be in getting the cut lengths right so the number of rounds will fit without too much slop and making sure enough of the front of the rear tube was removed to get rid of the ridges that are at the tip of the tube to keep shells from slipping out. If those ridges were left in the middle of the newly extended tube it would seem to me that they would create too much friction. I also guess that chamfering the cut ends of the original tubes so no boundary lip would catch shell rims would be a wise step.

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the type of plastic tube to use as the "splint" and what cements would be optimum. I am initially ooking at PVC tube for the "splint" and epoxy for the glue. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

geoff-PM me-i have worked on a few and have made a jig for one. i can send u a few pics. the real trick is finding a bonding agent...

I know there are some nice custom ten rounders available from the UK, but world IPSC doesn't limit capacity in open like we do.

Goerge,

They also come in 6's and 8's - Kurt had some and he was going to give them to Jimmy Holdsworth to evaluate (VN Gunfighter) - if you PM Kurt he may still have them and you could check them out - I dont shoot Open but I would use these !

post-2653-1131374417_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

I liked the look of them when I saw your original post. I did not realize they were available in under 10 shell sizes.

I will definitely PM Kurt. Thanks,

BTW, I guess the USA is operating with diminished capacity ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Some of us less able shooters in the UK use carbon fibre sleeves. They are light/strong and can be had in an ID of 22mm which slips nicely over the tec loader when you have ground the "ribs" off. I have a 13 and some 8's etc. After much use Im leaning towards some 6's with a couple of 8's for any initial loads. The 6's are much stronger than stock loaders and I can do a shot to shot reload of 2.25 sec loading 7 (with 65mm shells).

This is done a-la pistol loading. Drop left hand to belt, grab loader, cant the gun in strong hand while still mounted at shoulder guide the loader in and roll gun back to sight on target bang. All done nice and fast.

I use 3gun gear loader pouches, they have up to 6 loaders on them.

So in summary I think 6's are about the right length for fast loading and a good compromise with the mega length ones which are good for unloaded starts.

Richard

Yes epoxy resin.

A length of pvc drain pipe fits nicely inside the tecloader then sleeve it and make sure you make the outside rough. One of the guys here drills holes in his. I just hacked mine up with a kitchen knife to give it purchase. smear the epoxy on then slip the sleeve over.

You will need to grind out a slit for the handle to travel along of course.

Ill see if I can get a piccy up.

• 3 months later...
Yes epoxy resin.

A length of pvc drain pipe fits nicely inside the tecloader then sleeve it and make sure you make the outside rough. One of the guys here drills holes in his. I just hacked mine up with a kitchen knife to give it purchase. smear the epoxy on then slip the sleeve over.

You will need to grind out a slit for the handle to travel along of course.

Ill see if I can get a piccy up.

Richard, did you try the "self contained" pvc tubes? If so, any luck?

PVC is your enemy.

It doesnt stick and is too soft. Carbon fibre sleaved over the stock tec loaders is cheap and easy. You have to sacrifice a tec loader by dropping the top off, I recommend making a 6 round one, loading weak hand.

I managed a 2.7 sec round to round load of 7 shells hitting 15 yard plates. Kind of pistol loading technique, but with the shotgun.

Edited by ringram

PVC is your enemy.

It doesnt stick and is too soft. Carbon fibre sleaved over the stock tec loaders is cheap and easy. You have to sacrifice a tec loader by dropping the top off, I recommend making a 6 round one, loading weak hand.

I managed a 2.7 sec round to round load of 7 shells hitting 15 yard plates. Kind of pistol loading technique, but with the shotgun.

bly "sleeved", are you basically saying wrapping carbon fibre around the 2 pieces of tec loaders? if so, how are you doing this (i.e. what bonding agent)????

• 7 months later...
after many months of research, i finally found a bonding agent for TEC sticks. i'll be posting a step-by-step instruction with pics as soon as i can get them up to my site. here's a finished product.

ok, have the pics and instructions here:

http://web.mac.com/speedoption/iWeb/CAPSL/HiCapLoaders.html

Edited by outerlimits