Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pulling bullets, lots of them

Bakerjd

So I have about 2-3k 40 cal loaded rounds I've collected over the last few years that are useless to me as loaded ammo now. All are 180gn. Some blues, some unknown plated or FMJ, some just lead. Most of them are standard length 40 but about 1k are long loaded bayou bullets that are oversized 40 cal that I got a while ago from a shooting buddy who ordered wrong size and didnt check then loaded them all. I was using these before but since i now have a 2011 with a KKM barrel none of these fit. So what's the safest and fastest way to pull all the bullets, save the cases and primers for reloading? I'd rather not sit and hammer bullets out all night after work for ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/reloading-tools/presses-and-tools/bullet-pullers/pile-driver-bullet-puller/1116083.html

Frankford Arsenal Pile Driver is what I use, I love it!  I've got 3k+ of bad loads that I am breaking down slowly a few every night and it takes no time at all.  It's wall mounted and you can either use the catch bin for single rounds or attach a piece of tubing for multiple rounds.  I have a hose going into a 5 gallon bucket on mine and I just pick the bullets out and dump the powder each night.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never found anything faster, easier, or cheaper than these: https://www.lymanproducts.com/magnum-inertia-bullet-puller/

The collet pullers need a longer bullet to grip, pistol bullets are not optimal for them.

They look like they won't last a week, but I have a Dillon one (all plastic) and an old RCBS I believe with the aluminum handle shaft, that have lasted over ten years and thousands of rounds. 

When using them, put a piece of wood or Trex  plastic lumber, or a chunk of delrin, or almost anything not metal in a vise, and whack the puller on that. 

Most semi-auto ammo in one or two whacks, revolvers and rifles, or lighter bullets a few more.