Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

accuracy and different bullets

midatlantic

I usually shoot Acme 185 swc under 3.6 or so of Clays in range brass. 

When I do my part I've found that load to be very accurate - i.e.  ten rounds into the black at 25 yards out of a 1911 and CZ97b with bushing. Of course, those Acme bullets are now made of unobtanium. Using what I can get - .45 swc coated from local store and X-treme flatnosed, accuracy is much less predictable. From an offhand group sometimes as good as 3-4 inches to upwards of 6-8-10. Lots of flyers. The coated bullets are 200 gn, with a bumped down charge a bit, and the flat nosed are 185 at usual 3.6.

So if I have to develop another load what's the first thing I should start with? Charge weight? OAL? Taper crimp? Or am I going to be running in circles given the lack of reliable supply of a specific bullet?

using the rounds for steel challenge....All thoughts welcome.

If you've had good experience with 185 SWC coated, why change?

Missouri Bullet Works?  Summers Enterprises?  Both ship that bullet with reasonable lead time.

200 gr SWC coated grooveless is my go-to, as it's available from multiple suppliers at reasonable cost (Missouri, Summers, and DG.)  I know the OAL that feeds in my gun, crimp and charge weight are what they are.  Why change?  They're all rolled to .452.

All my 45s prefer 200 over 185 gn.

If you live for coated bullets, try Precision Bullets (Kemp, TX?). Fantastic accuracy from their 200 gn SWC.

Slightly better in terms of accuracy are Zero and Precision Delta.

Just how big is your "black?" The targets I normally use have a, for whatever reason, 2 1/3" black bullseye and all my 45 rounds should stay well inside that at 25 yards.

Another vote for Precision 200gr SWC.  Super accurate in both my 1911 45s.  Another good bullseye bullet is the Zero 185gr LSWCHP.  Both are way more accurate than needed for steel challenge.