Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Mount for Vortex 1-10 for 3G not PRS

Frankly

On the tipping point to get a Vortex 1-10 but stymied by mounting choices. Going on a conventional 3G 16" AR. I've been using the lightweight Aeros on previous guns and they've been great but I wonder if I'm pushing the limits of stability and strength with them? Most of what I see it advertised with are $300+ Spur and RRS mounts for PRS type guns, these seem too heavy and don't have the cantilever that I think I'll need for proper positioning. Also whether a 1" or 2" cantilever? 

What are the esteemed professional internet experts using? Photos appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Frankly

ADM's are good, the Vortex precision mount is good, JP's are good..

Lots of stuff under $200 that I trust a lot more than the Aero's I have.

I always get the longest cantilever available. You can always move it back, but you can't stretch it once you run out upper to mount it on.

BTW I got one (backordered) for $1869 from B&H Photo by calling for "Special Savings" and using their branded credit card to save sales tax and shipping. Pretty easy. Being Winter I can wait a month or so.... 

Haven't seen them discounted anywhere else. Of course NY State sales tax is a bummer but they snag you with their card and saving 8%-plus is a heck of a lot better than getting "points back". 

Tony I should have got the C-More but you know... marketing. But also I figure it's my last AR scope ever. Who knows if there even will be 3Gun especially in NY again? 

Edited by Frankly

LaRue LT204 is a great deal for around $140. https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/.  

You'll need at least 2" offset. I'm not sure how eye relief compares on 1-10 vs 1-6, but for me on 1-6 I needed a 3" cantilever for proper eye relief. Most people seem to be fine with 2" cantilever though.

I'm tempted to try a 1.93" height mount next time I need another one.

Did anyone get a 20MOA mount versus flat? I'm probably more concerned with close than far but I don't think I see a downside to getting the 20MOA. 

Wow I've never seen a 3" Cantilever but I'm looking next!

8 minutes ago, Frankly said:

Wow I've never seen a 3" Cantilever but I'm looking next!

There's a few out there, most companies don't list the specs though. All the companies I listed above have them, I think the ADM is called the X Recon or something, JP has two different lengths.

Keep in mind this scope and its predecessor have very long eye relief so I have to use what most would call a more extended cantilever mount than most of my 3gun scopes require. Please get advice from people that use this scope in competition not just people that have a scope mount they like. I use the Vortex branded precision mou t which is made by Seekins and allows a lot of forward adjustment so your not too close prone. The other mount that works well is the JP extended model. I think Geisele also offers a pretty long mount. It depends on your cheek weld but make sure your aware of that characteristic of these scope when you decide.

Right now I have a Geissele mount which is 1.54" on a Razor 1-10. I feel that it is just a smidge too tall for my cheek weld. I might go back to a Warne XSkel because it sits just a tiny bit lower at 1.45". Yes I realize it's only a tenth difference but it's noticeable with me. 

I'm not worried about zero loss with the Warne because my previous set up was with an XSkel and a Razor 1-6. My rifle has been harpooned into many barrels. Never lost zero.