Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got my Shadow 2 back from Primary Machine....WOW!

mniels

So I got back my slide today, waited until the Black Friday sale.  Turnaround was supposed to be 4 weeks.  Mine was in the mail after 8 days!  To say that I am happy would be an understatement. I wanted to set this girl up for CO, and they did an AMAZING job.  A buddy of mine is a smith and he installed the CGW upgrade kit with reach reduction a while back.  I also added the "old style" trigger.  On my Wheeler digital gauge a ten round average in double action is a little over 2.5 lbs, and single action is just a hair under 1 lb.  It shoots amazingly well, with no reliability issues.

I honestly think the gauge might have an issue.   It feels very light on double action, but 2-2.5 lbs is just bonkers.  I would be curious what other folks with the CGW kit upgrade are getting. 

I added the Holosun because with my sight the ring makes a huge difference for some reason.  Not sure why but it helps with the astigmatism I have in both eyes.  A single dot is just a flared mess to me.  However, it is amazing how deep they can cut the slide for the optic.  The closer it can be to the bore axis, the better, and this thing is super deep.  Basepads are the Henning +5/+6 with the Grams springs and followers.

I had them do their Harbinger cut and cerakote the slide in Concrete, which is a very close match to the grey that Lok uses on their G10 grips.  I am kind of wishing that I sent in the basepads to be cerakoted as well.  I absolutely hate the white writing on the Holosun, and thought about having them cerakote it straight black, but that didn't seem like a good way to spend $100 these days.  Of course, by that logic it wouldn't make sense to cerakote the basepads either. I don't think I would have had the slide done in anything but black if it wasn't included in the cost. Of course, all the cerakote is just vanity, doesn't mean a damn thing if you can't shoot straight!  😝

I did have them add the sight blank just so there would not be a big notch on the top of the slide.  Another thing that doesn't make a damn bit of difference, but hey, that one was only $20.

Photos are too big to add directly, so here is a link to an Imgur album:  Shadow 2 Photos 

Let me know what you think! 

Edited by mniels

Nice! I have a S2 Orange coming in that I’m setting up for CO and think I’m going with Primary Machine for the same cuts. I’m glad the turnaround isn’t as long as it says on the site.

Probably going to run a SRO on mine but side note, I purchased a Holosun 507K for my P365XL last week and love the reticle also. Still have to go sight it in, but in dry fire I’m able to pick up the reticle pretty easily. That’s my first red dot on a pistol but I think I’m going to love getting into CO from Limited.  Makes me with I’d gone to CO when I made the switch from Production to Limited. 

Can you add a pic or two from the top view? 

15 hours ago, MgtMike said:

Nice! I have a S2 Orange coming in that I’m setting up for CO and think I’m going with Primary Machine for the same cuts. I’m glad the turnaround isn’t as long as it says on the site.

Probably going to run a SRO on mine but side note, I purchased a Holosun 507K for my P365XL last week and love the reticle also. Still have to go sight it in, but in dry fire I’m able to pick up the reticle pretty easily. That’s my first red dot on a pistol but I think I’m going to love getting into CO from Limited.  Makes me with I’d gone to CO when I made the switch from Production to Limited. 

Can you add a pic or two from the top view? 

No problem, I just added six more photos of the slide cuts to that album.  I can tell you that where they cut the lightening holes in the middle of the serrations, the serrations are very sharp!  I took it to the range today, it is shooting super flat and fast.  I am shooting 124gr flat points on top of 3.8gr of Clean Shot, makes around 130 PF.  For what it is worth, I was shooting just under 1" groups at 15 yards from a rest. Plenty tight for my needs.  I would imagine that you will get better than that since the Orange has the bushing.

Edited by mniels

2 hours ago, mniels said:

No problem, I just added six more photos of the slide cuts to that album.  I can tell you that where they cut the lightening holes in the middle of the serrations, the serrations are very sharp!  I took it to the range today, it is shooting super flat and fast.  I am shooting 124gr flat points on top of 3.8gr of Clean Shot, makes around 130 PF.  For what it is worth, I was shooting just under 1" groups at 15 yards from a rest. Plenty tight for my needs.  I would imagine that you will get better than that since the Orange has the bushing.

Nice! Yeah I have to get my Dillon 750 set up for 9mm loads. I’ve only shot limited major (40sw) since I got it a year ago. S2O should be here Wednesday. 

13 hours ago, jejb said:

Thanks for adding more pictures, but do you have any closer looks at the optic cut straight from the side? Be nice to see how deep it is.

I just tried to add another photo for you, but Imgur is having an issue.  If you message me your email address I can send it to you direct.

Primary Machine has milled two 1911 slides for me for Vortex Venom optics and in both cases the work was fantastic.  The one feature I do not like is PM forces you to accept them refinishing the slide.  I say this because in both instances I was sending the slides out for DLC coating after the milling.  Seems overkill to me. PM's comment was they are located in a extremely humid area and are concerned about rust.

17 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

How do they feel during live fire with the lightened slides? Any appreciably noticeable difference. They do look nice!

They feel better, a bit less perceived recoil.  The slide is definitely faster.  

Might be all in my head though...  

18 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

How do they feel during live fire with the lightened slides? Any appreciably noticeable difference. They do look nice!

Once you add the optic it isn't much of a difference weight-wise.  I ended up with a net weight savings of .4 oz, so not much.  Basically, by having the lightening done you are not adding any weight with the optic.  It feels a touch faster, but not a lot.  I would imagine it would be a noticeable difference if you had the cuts done without adding the optic.