Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P Full Size 5" M2 with M1 Performance Center upper problem

safarihunter

I recently purchased a used S&W M&P Full Size M2 5" 9mm that came with an additional Performance Center M1 upper.

The M1 upper is cut for a RMR so it might be useful as I have spare red dots

The problem is that with the M1 upper installed you can't slingshot the slide. The slide must be released by thumbing the slide release.

I have small hands so if I use the M1 upper conversion in competition I would have difficulty dropping the slide.

Is there a fix to convert the M1 slide to be able to slingshot?

10 hours ago, safarihunter said:

Any leads on who would be the go to for S&W parts?

How about.....................Smith & Wesson?

Also, why do you want to slingshot the slide when that is so much slower than hitting the slide release with either thumb?

If you're shooting USPSA, how to drop the slide should be far down on your list of priorities as far as gun manipulations go anyway.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:31 PM, mgkrs said:

Yes, the auto forward only works on an m&p 1.0 upper and lower. The 2.0 has a modified slide stop detent to prevent this. 

Looks like you can modify if though to get auto forward back:

Did this, makes it much easier to use the left thumb to drop the slide. Had to smooth the contact points on the slide and slide stop, not a big deal. I removed the detent and tiny spring, and reinstalled the housing, looks like nothing has been done. 

Not sure why this detent was put there, it serves no purpose but to make the gun less functional, especially for left handed shooters. 

To remove the housing, put a small screwdriver behind it, hold the slide stop up and pry the housing to the rear. It pops out. Remove the spring & detent, reinstall housing and back in business.

I'll test it this weekend for auto-forward functionality, but even it it doesn't do this, it's still easier to use with your left thumb, and you can slingshot the slide forward if that's your thing.