Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2021 Steel Challenge Nationals - first timer question

lazytrbar

Me and my son have been shooting steel challenge over the past 18 months or so and just love it.  I've been shooting USPSA for a few years but never at a nationals.  Having shot our state match (Colorado) two years in a row, plus local matches and rim-fire challenges as often as we can we decided to bite the bullet and registered for the National match at Talladega in April. 

We're very excited to see the big stage!!

Since this is my first year - I'm curious about the format and logistics.  We signed up for Friday slot but I'm hoping to be able to stick around Saturday and Sunday to watch as well.  How late in the  day does shooting and awards usually go?  Is the format good for spectators?  Should I plan a flight home that night or the next morning, or is it even worth staying through awards?  My son is a C class shooter and I'm an A but we're both in the middle of our classes so we're not expecting to place.

What about vendors, swag, prizes?  Should I be saving up my money to hit vendor booths for gear or planning an empty bag to bring home swag??  Not really concerned either way, our main concern is shooting and learning, but curious about what to expect!!

Edited by lazytrbar

The best description of WSSC that I have heard is that it’s a spectacle. This is your chance to see the super squads with the fastest shooters in the world. The range works well for spectating, and there will be several vendors. We pushed right up against dark in my evening squad this year. Awards go pretty late too on Sunday, so a Monday departure might be best. 

12 hours ago, lazytrbar said:

We're very excited to see the big stage!!

Since this is my first year - I'm curious about the format and logistics.  We signed up for Friday slot but I'm hoping to be able to stick around Saturday and Sunday to watch as well.  How late in the  day does shooting and awards usually go?  Is the format good for spectators?  Should I plan a flight home that night or the next morning, or is it even worth staying through awards?  My son is a C class shooter and I'm an A but we're both in the middle of our classes so we're not expecting to place.

What about vendors, swag, prizes?  Should I be saving up my money to hit vendor booths for gear or planning an empty bag to bring home swag??  Not really concerned either way, our main concern is shooting and learning, but curious about what to expect!!

Welcome to the match. We plan to put on the best match we possibly can. If you plans permit do stick around Saturday and Sunday. You will see some of the fastest shooting in the world, literally. Numerous world records were set on the weekend last year. Are you shooting Friday AM or PM? 

Regarding awards - we have 3 prize tables. One for centerfire pistols, one for rimfire and one for PCC. Everyone walks and everyone takes something home from the prize table. If you can't walk fill out a proxy form and get someone to walk on your behalf. 

There will be a vendor area for you to visit and you should get some swag at check in so leave some extra room for that and prize table goodies. 

Don't stress out about it being the world shoot. Think of it as a regular 8 stage match that just happens to be held over several days. Also when you first look at the stages you'll see some plates that are just barely above the ground. It will look odd until you step in the box. Then it will look perfect. Trust me we put a TON of work into setting the stages up perfectly for this match. 

The prize table and awards will go kind of late into the evening - 9:00ish or so on Sunday.  I drove back to Atlanta after the awards to make a Monday morning flight and it made for a very late night.  I will try to stay Sunday night this time and drive out on Monday.

If possible, take your son to the CMP store - the one where they refit the M1s, etc.  I did NOT make it there last time and am kickin myself for not making time for it.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:22 PM, ZackJones said:

Welcome to the match. We plan to put on the best match we possibly can. If you plans permit do stick around Saturday and Sunday. You will see some of the fastest shooting in the world, literally. Numerous world records were set on the weekend last year. Are you shooting Friday AM or PM? 

Regarding awards - we have 3 prize tables. One for centerfire pistols, one for rimfire and one for PCC. Everyone walks and everyone takes something home from the prize table. If you can't walk fill out a proxy form and get someone to walk on your...

What does "everyone walks" mean?

On 12/7/2020 at 3:22 PM, ZackJones said:

13 hours ago, BentAero said:

What does "everyone walks" mean?

Everyone who competes gets to walk the prize table at some point. If you are not going to be at the awards ceremony you are able to designate someone to walk the table for you. 

I wouldn't bother changing my travel schedule to accommodate awards. If you're not at the top end of the field there'll be some gift certs worth $50 or so, and some merchandise worth a little less. Still might be worth having someone proxy for you tho. I'm not a big fan of ceremonies in general, however.

I would urge you to stay around and watch some of the top shooters, however. See what order they shoot things in, how they prepare, basically how they shoot a big match. Last year was our first year and we learned quite a bit to help us prepare for this year.

• 2 weeks later...