Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammobot rev3 with RL1100 or Mark 7 Pro?

Drmike

I have had a Dillon RL 1100 with Ammobot Rev 3 for about a year now that I use for 40SW.  I am getting tired of constantly replacing bent index bolts from primer drawback as well as various primer issues. The Ammobot doesn’t seem to be able to sense the extra tension and stop itself.  I actually buy the bolts by the dozen and replace 2 or three per 1000 rods loaded. I have an XL650 that I use for 9mm and have had a few problems, but not many.  It is 25yrs old.  Now I have ordered a Mark VII Pro to load 9mm (pulling the handle messes up my tennis elbow).  I have yet to receive it, but now I am wondering ...... should I keep the 40SW Ammobot driven RL1100?  Should I sell the Ammobot and buy a Mark 7 to drive my RL1100?  Should I sell the Ammobot/RL1100 combination and buy another Mark 7 Pro for 40?  

Edited by Drmike
Typo

I lose decapping pins too.  That is not an issue to me, unavoidable.  The bolt that I break is the one that drives the index pawl at the back of the machine. The problem seems to be that the Ammobot cannot detect the tension in the upstroke caused by a primer extending from the bottom of the case which results in too much torque on this bolt which bends it slightly, causing poor indexing unless replaced.

Edited by Drmike
Typo

I'm curious... is there something different between 40S&W and 9mm processin that would result in excessive primer draw back for the 40S&W?

I'm running an Ammobot Rev 3 on an 1100 for 9mm and drawback is not a problem.

If you want to sell the 1100/Ammobot let me know; I'm interested.

The procedure is the same. 
The profile on the decapping pins (comparing 9mm to 40cal. ) can be what your experiencing. 
If you are not aware, putting a 45 degree(ish) profile does help with primer pullback. 
The other HUGE influence is how the brass was cleaned. If it was wet tumbled and the drying process was not quick and thorough.  Not sure of the correct term (rust like oxidation) can cause broken decapping pins, and primer pullback. 
If your automated you learn quick how to solve these problems. Once you push that start button jams will ruin your productivity big time. 
Good luck. 

Ok, yesterday I decided to try preprocessing instead.  I set up my other toolhead with a FW arms decapper (the new spring loaded one is awesome)and swage backup die as well as judge die and Redding sizing die and TNT munitions shellplate.  I am able to run it reliably up to 3000cph, no issues with primer drawback with the FW Arms decapper, but still bending the bolts.  I did a half a five gallon pail of brass yesterday and bent 6 bolts.  I don't think there is too much tension on the shell plate, everything looks perfect.  Very frustrated.  The good thing about doing the separate processing is that there is no mess with a jam.

3 hours ago, Drmike said:

Ok, yesterday I decided to try preprocessing instead.  I set up my other toolhead with a FW arms decapper (the new spring loaded one is awesome)and swage backup die as well as judge die and Redding sizing die and TNT munitions shellplate.  I am able to run it reliably up to 3000cph, no issues with primer drawback with the FW Arms decapper, but still bending the bolts.  I did a half a five gallon pail of brass yesterday and bent 6 bolts.  I don't think there is too much tension on the shell plate, everything looks perfect.  Very frustrated.  The good thing about doing the separate processing is that there is no mess with a jam.

I don't run mine that fast, right at 1500 cph. I have roughly 15K rounds through it. Haven't bent that bolt yet, knock on wood...

Have you posted this over on the ammobot Facebook group? There is a lot of ammobot and dillon 1050/1100 knowledge over there.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys - Only one thought as I read this thread related to primer drawback - not sure if you were aware that Will at FW Arms just introduced a spring loaded decapping die called the Primer Popper that virtually eliminates all primer drawback...I am running one on my EVO and so far it has worked flawlessly. Just thought I would mention as he has the unit on sale right now with free priority shipping....Mark

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/pre-order-fw-arms-primer-popper-auto-case-centering-decapper-deprimer/

Sorry Guys - I Just saw where Will posted in the description of this part that he just ran out of stock but will have more in stock next week (around 12/14) when he gets parts back from the plating company.

Edited by Sigarmsp226
Spelling

6 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Guys - Only one thought as I read this thread related to primer drawback - not sure if you were aware that Will at FW Arms just introduced a spring loaded decapping die called the Primer Popper that virtually eliminates all primer drawback...I am running one on my EVO and so far it has worked flawlessly. Just thought I would mention as he has the unit on sale right now with free priority shipping....Mark

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/pre-order-fw-arms-primer-popper-auto-case-centering-decapper-deprimer/

Sorry Guys - I Just saw where Will posted in the description of this part that he just ran out of stock but will have more in stock next week (around 12/14) when he gets parts back from the plating company.