Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo 3 Max/XL windage zero drifts

Dazhi

I recently switched to R3 Max on my CO setup.  I have 4 of them, and all 4 are showing windage zero drifts during live fire.  They wander left or right by about 3-4 inches @25 yards after a few hundred rounds.  I readjust the windage to zero, but after another few hundred rounds the drift occurs again.  It usually keeps drifting to the same direction on the same unit, but different units drift to different directions.   I have sent 2 of them back to Sig and been waiting for replacement/repair. 

Has anyone else with R3 Max/XL experienced this same issue?

I am aware of a Youtube video showing how to fix windage drift issues on R3 XL.  It tightens up the set screw for the windage adjustment when the "clicks" are no longer present when adjusting windage.   Presumably, if that set screw is loose, recoil vibration will cause the windage to drift.   However, that's does not seem to apply to my situation, because all my R3 Max are less than 2k rounds, and windage adjustment clicks are very prominent on all of them.

Maybe that issue also exists before the "clicks" are gone, e.g. even before the set screw is loose, windage would wander during recoil vibration?  If that's the case, how would one go about fixing it?

I've had some lose windage in under 500 rounds, some go 5000 without problems.  On all 3 that did have problems, windage drifted impacts to the right, but that could just be chance.

Generally the clicks get very soft, but the easy way to see if the screw is moving versus something else it put a dot of paint on the screw and fire a few dozen rounds and see if the dot moves.  If so, send it back or take it apart. 

Its easy to dot the screw at the range by taking a stick of dried grass or twig, poke the end into some wet paint just sprayed on some steel and then tap the end on the windage and elevation screws to transfer the paint.

I just got a second one of these in and mounted it yesterday on my back up production optics gun.  Right from the start the wind age clicks were very soft and was never able to zero windage even though elevation responded immediately.  My other one has been fine since day one.  I guess it needs to go back to sig.

Thanks for the info. 

I am curious - besides me, has anyone's R3 Max/XL lose windage zero while the "clicks" are still very strong, and the paint marker you put on the adjustment screw never moved?

I am not sure how "strong" the clicks need to be to avoid the zero drifting.  Is it just the feel of clicking, or it should be a bit hard to turn?  Mine are all very easy to turn with the allen wrench, but they all have very prominent "click" feeling when being turned. 

Also, if the paint marker on the adjustment screw never moves, is that sufficient to exclude a loose windage adjustment?

• 1 year later...

I haven't had windage drift but I have had elevation drift.  Had this happen 2 times, first was after about 4K rounds & second was about 1K before it happened again.  It was pretty significant, roughly 4" low at 10 yds.  Which really hurts in matches & especially steel targets.  Both elevation & windage adjusters have very prominent clicks when adjusting.  Not sure what the issue is but definitely gonna keep researching it.

• 1 month later...

My Romeo 3 Max is a year old, with 3000 to 5000 rounds through it. It was factory mounted to my SIG P320 Max pistol. About two months ago I noticed that the pistol was  shooting 4 to 6 inches low and a few inches left at 15 yards. I had read about the wandering zero problems with the Romeo 3s and figured that the elevation screw had moved. I re-zeroed the optic, shot a match and all seemed fine. The following week, about 200 rounds later, I was shooting very low, again. I adjusted the elevation screw  for max elevation and the gun still shot 4 to 6 inches’ low at 15 yards. Previous to this, the gun had always shot to the point of aim with a variety of ammunition.

I contacted SIG and was immediately emailed a return authorization with a payed Fed Ex shipping label. I boxed up the sight and mailed on a Thursday (22 SEP 22).  The following Tuesday (27 SEP 22) I received a notification that a package was enroute from SIG. After some Fed Ex shenanigans, I received a new Romeo 3 from SIG, free of charge, on 4 OCT 22. The invoice states that the inability to zero was confirmed and that the optic had a loose lens. 

Edited by JohnT-73401