Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Me M2

Mike L.

I wound up picking up a used Benelli M2 Field with the 26" barrel. I am looking at getting started in 3 gun and am going to get a tube extension (plus 7) and larger bolt handle. I plan to upgrade as needed as I go on in the sport.

I did notice the stock is a standard black synthetic and not the Comfortech. Should I look to get a Comfortech stock? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mike L.

I've actually spent a decent amount of time looking into the price/logistics of swapping between Comfortech stocks, and I've never been able to find a replacement stock for less than the $300-$400 range. At that price, I'd definitely put it at the bottom of the list for upgrades. I've never done a complete apples-to-apples test comparing an M2 with a Comfortech stock against one without, but I have done back-to-back shooting with a Comfortech-equipped M2 and another inertia-driven 12 gauge with a plain old polymer stock. Recoil seemed a tad more manageable with the M2, but it's very likely that the stock only contributed partially to that; even then, it wasn't a night-and-day difference.

In my personal opinion, an extended tube, loading port work (whether done yourself or by a gunsmith), trigger work, and oversized controls (in roughly that order) would all come before swapping out the stock, as would ammo for training and matches. If you've still got the money burning a hole in your pocket after all of that, then sure, go for it. But it's not exactly critical.

Think Steve is right on! Practical/speed related port work has to be tops after tube capacity, triggers are subjective but a good one usually doesn't hurt (unless you're used to jerking 8 pounders and fire early with a reasonable one :)).

I've shot Benellis with and without, I can't tell you I notice a huge difference in the moment, maybe at the end of the day? You could certainly take a step in the right direction with a limbsaver pre-fit pad and kick-eze cheek pad for $50 or so total, which I've done on one of my old non-comfort tech benelli stocks and a stoeger, never looked back or felt like I needed more.

Of course perceived recoil, how it's managed, and how a gun fits are all somehwhat individualistic so try to find one to shoot with the comfortech next to yours and see if it allows faster follow ups or anything beneficial for you!

Do you feel you *need* a Comfortech stock? 

If you do, you'd probably be best to sell what you have & buy what you want.

If you don't, then a decent recoil pad should give you most of the benefits for only part of the cost.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, kurtm said:

Practical port work??? I think those words don't mean what you think they do!!!!

HAHAHA!! Well I always enjoy learning from your expertise, please expand on this :)

• 3 weeks later...

The M1 super 90 didn’t have a comforttech stock and people love those guns.  
Shooting my m2 w/comforttech stock next to my Stoeger with the cheap Walmart ammo I don’t really notice much difference in recoil.  The recoil difference with a Comforttech stock seems more noticeable with heavy hunting loads