Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TSO 40 to 9mm Caliber Conversion?

Arakisk

Looking to eventually get a TSO in 40S&W. I have seen older threads of people converting 40 cal guns to 9mm with a barrel/mag swap and extractor tuning. Due to the situation in my state, I will likely not be able to purchase two separate copies of this pistol.

Does anyone have experience converting their 40cal TSO to 9mm? Can anyone give feedback on the end result and its performance?

I cheated by picking up a complete upper. I was worried that I'd have to fit the .40 upper, but it slides on pretty easily, and is about as tight as the 9mm upper is. Only fun issue is the .40 upper is blued, but it is easier to pick out which one is which.  I'll admit with everything going on I haven't had a chance to get out to the range. 

4 minutes ago, ultimase said:

I cheated by picking up a complete upper. I was worried that I'd have to fit the .40 upper, but it slides on pretty easily, and is about as tight as the 9mm upper is. Only fun issue is the .40 upper is blued, but it is easier to pick out which one is which.  I'll admit with everything going on I haven't had a chance to get out to the range. 

I have been looking online to try finding a whole upper for sale, and it seems that CZC no longer sells them. Any suggestions for finding a whole upper assembly?

11 minutes ago, ultimase said:

I got lucky and picked one up in the classifieds. Everything coming on CZ seems to have been slowed down by covid so it might be worth waiting for a bit, and keeping an eye on the classifieds.

Are you referring to the Ken's List stuff on Practiscore? Or another ideal site?

I picked up a used .40 TS slide that mated right up to my TSO 9mm.  No fitting required.  I have heard that some require slight fitting, but any smith could handle it for around $100.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here.  I've found more parts here vs Ken's.

4 hours ago, LuvDog said:

I picked up a used .40 TS slide that mated right up to my TSO 9mm.  No fitting required.  I have heard that some require slight fitting, but any smith could handle it for around $100.

How much did the upper assembly end up costing you?

5 hours ago, LuvDog said:

+1. Just be patient - I've bought I think three different complete CZ top ends off of the Classifieds on this forum; two of them were for exactly the sort of caliber conversion that you're asking about. No issues with either.

So now I have a decision to make. I am primarily a 3gun/PCC shooter. I will not be shooting any considerable amount of 40cal until I make the investment into that division.

Assuming I plan to keep this gun permanently, would it be a wiser investment to start with the 9mm version and eventually find a 40cal upper, or start with a 40cal upper and get a 9mm barrel/mags? I want to be sure that I can EVENTUALLY shoot both calibers and I am not entirely sure how often people sell their 40cal upper assemblies compared to 9mm assemblies, and I know that 9mm barrels can be bought new unlike 40cal slides.

If I can be reasonably sure that someone will be selling their TSO 40. upper assembly in a year or two, I'll just be buying the 9mm gun for the time being.

Edited by Arakisk

5 hours ago, Arakisk said:

So now I have a decision to make. I am primarily a 3gun/PCC shooter. I will not be shooting any considerable amount of 40cal until I make the investment into that division.

Assuming I plan to keep this gun permanently, would it be a wiser investment to start with the 9mm version and eventually find a 40cal upper, or start with a 40cal upper and get a 9mm barrel/mags? I want to be sure that I can EVENTUALLY shoot both calibers and I am not entirely sure how often people sell their 40cal upper assemblies compared to 9mm assemblies, and I know that 9mm barrels can be bought new unlike 40cal slides.

If I can be reasonably sure that someone will be selling their TSO 40. upper assembly in a year or two, I'll just be buying the 9mm gun for the time being.

With you being in Cali I think most of it will depend on what you can find as I don't think the TSO is actually on the handgun roster. That'll be the most difficult thing to find, so if you find a TSO in .40 grab it, if you find a TSO in 9mm grab it. Parts you can order from anywhere without having to deal with the roster. 

I've done the swap. I had CZC do the gun smith work on it. All you need is to find an extra barrel and get it fitted to your slide (Call CZC to see if they have a barrel) and grab some 9mm TSO magazines. I checked the accuracy thinking it was going to be off. It wasn't bad and I didn't use a rest to test accuracy (9mm Federal Syntech 150 gr and Federal Syntech .40 205 gr). It shot a little left of center from shooting my TSO .40. I left the sights alone didn't mess with the extractor. I only use the 9mm barrel if there was a local club match. I have an A01-LD that I use mainly for 9mm carry optics (Steel challenge/USPSA) and the TSO .40 for limited (major) USPSA. I did the barrel fitting because I had the TSO in 9mm but wasn't shooting it after getting the A01-LD. So I decided to sell it and use the money on something else.

TSO 9 and .40.jpg