Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rangefinders for 3-gun Limited shooter

TitoR

Hi all

I’m a limited 3-gun shooter using a Vortex Spitfire. I dial elevations for each target. In local matches range to targets are usually shared, but in the Texas 3-gun championship i was scrambling to get info from other competitors.

So, for future matches I would like to supplement my equipment with a 1000 yds rangefinder.

What rangefinders should I be considering?

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was in the market for a range finder eight years ago I decided anything less than $800 was garbage so I never bought one. Snagged a Vortex Impact 850 off a prize table last month and was pleasantly surprised to see the $200 units of today are better than the higher end products of yesteryear.

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

When I was in the market for a range finder eight years ago I decided anything less than $800 was garbage so I never bought one. Snagged a Vortex Impact 850 off a prize table last month and was pleasantly surprised to see the $200 units of today are better than the higher end products of yesteryear.

THIS^

On 10/12/2020 at 11:42 AM, TitoR said:

Hi all

I’m a limited 3-gun shooter using a Vortex Spitfire. I dial elevations for each target. In local matches range to targets are usually shared, but in the Texas 3-gun championship i was scrambling to get info from other competitors.

So, for future matches I would like to supplement my equipment with a 1000 yds rangefinder.

What rangefinders should I be considering?

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too shot the TX3G and on that Thursday I walked to stages late afternoon and used my Nikon Black RangeX 4K. I hit all the targets just fine and was within a few yards of everyone else that lasered at the same time. Current pricing puts the model right at $450. I don't have experience with anything else. It fit my budget at the time I bought it over a year ago. But holy hell at Stage 6 where all the targets were clustered on the hill and trees. I timed out on that stage. My goal next time is to mount a pair of binos next to the range finder on a plate and carry it around on a tripod. I took notes on my phone and should have brought a pen and notepad to sketch the targets out. 

On 10/12/2020 at 5:14 PM, TonytheTiger said:

I just joined this site and I'm getting an error code when I try to send a PM. I was doing some research on LPVO. I came across your posts on the C3 and was wondering if you still had a valid discount code? Probably a long shot but figured I'd try.

Thanks

On 10/16/2020 at 1:22 PM, DizzySpells25 said:

I just joined this site and I'm getting an error code when I try to send a PM. I was doing some research on LPVO. I came across your posts on the C3 and was wondering if you still had a valid discount code? Probably a long shot but figured I'd try.

Thanks

Just checked, the code isn't active anymore. Keep an eye on them around black friday though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 11:16 PM, 021411 said:

I too shot the TX3G and on that Thursday I walked to stages late afternoon and used my Nikon Black RangeX 4K. I hit all the targets just fine and was within a few yards of everyone else that lasered at the same time. Current pricing puts the model right at $450. I don't have experience with anything else. It fit my budget at the time I bought it over a year ago. But holy hell at Stage 6 where all the targets were clustered on the hill and trees. I timed out on that stage. My goal next time is to mount a pair of binos next to the range finder on a plate and carry it around on a tripod. I took notes on my phone and should have brought a pen and notepad to sketch the targets out. 

Had the same challenges on stage 6, so I bought Binos and the SIG Kilo 1400 BDX.  
now i need to start practicing using the combo.

might go to reiveille this weekend just for that.

As usual, Tony is right on.  Almost any $200 rangefinders of current production from Vortex, Nikon, Sig, Bushnell, etc. will hit anything within 4-600 yards fast and easy.  Remember my first rangefinder as a guide in Colorado - spend $400 on a "1000" yard model and was lucky to hit 500 most of the time :) 

If you don't need fast and light I'd look at bino combos, but may not be ideal for your needs and are much more spendy if you just need to range what you'll hit with your prism sight