Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO Spontaneous Disassembly

Steve133

Had an odd issue happen a couple of times recently - hadn't seen it in person before, and didn't see anything in a quick forum search, so I figured I'd toss out a question to see if anyone had seen anything similar before.

I was in the middle of a training drill on the range a few weeks ago when my TSO suddenly locked up - transitioned onto a target and pulled the trigger, and nothing happened. A cursory examination revealed that the right-hand safety lever had fallen off. Amazingly enough, I was able to find and recover it. It had been a very long time since I'd cleaned that gun, so I chalked it up to carbon buildup somehow getting something stuck in an incorrect position (like that tiny little free-floating detent that holds the lever in place). I took it home, detail-stripped it and gave it a thorough cleaning. Everything seemed to fit together just fine afterwards - I checked for, and did not find, any excessive play or looseness in the fit of the safety.

After doing that and running a few rounds through it as a function check with no issues, I packed up and took it to a match last weekend... and lo and behold, the same damn thing happened in the middle of a stage. I've ordered a handful of new right-hand safety detents, and I'll be comparing the unit that's in the gun to a new one when I swap it out. Anyone see this before and/or have any suggestions for things to try aside from swapping the detent (and the safety lever if that doesn't work)?

Strange. I would have thought that piece in particular is one of the most impossible to spontaneously fall off on this pistol. It's held in by the detect, which is held in by the sear cage, which is held in by the slide and left side safety.

Yeah, I was willing to chalk it up as a fluke the first time, but the second one is really weird. Makes no real sense, but... here we are.

My replacement safety detents arrived today - I'll try swapping that in at some point over the weekend, and while I've got the pistol broken down, I'll try to take a few pictures. Might also detail-strip my backup gun to do some comparisons, we'll see.

Maybe I'm not geting your problem right. (I'm not english native spoken)

I understand that you right hand safety came out and locked up the gun.

This happend to me with my 75B and it was due to a not correctly seated and slightly bent sear spring

The CZ 75 concept was new to me at that time and I mis treated the spring a little when installing the left hand safety but didnt notice it at the time.

On 10/9/2020 at 4:23 PM, Steve133 said:

Yeah, I was willing to chalk it up as a fluke the first time, but the second one is really weird. Makes no real sense, but... here we are.

My replacement safety detents arrived today - I'll try swapping that in at some point over the weekend, and while I've got the pistol broken down, I'll try to take a few pictures. Might also detail-strip my backup gun to do some comparisons, we'll see.

Some pictures will be better than a thousand words.

that happened to me. right hand safety dropped out and the gun jammed. Its cause the right side detent broke somehow. Install a new detent, which keeps the right hand safety on which keeps the sear cage from moving and jamming the gun.