Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 spitting out primers

lroy

I've read a few threads by people that have had this issue, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix my machine. I replaced the plastic blue tip on the end of the primer tube, tightened/then loosened the screws holding the primer tube shield, cleaned the primer slide chute, adjusted the angle of the actuating arm, and it still vomits out (extremely hard to find) primers.

Anyone have suggestions? If I knew it was going to be this finicky I would have avoided all this s#!t in the first place. Sorry for the rant, but I've spent a ton of hours taking apart and reassembling this and it's still giving me headaches.

I recently went through several "blue tips" till I found a good one. With that said . Try removing the slide were the primer falls in .Take a pick or small drill bit(by hand)and clean it again. Polish it some with Flitz or some other metal polish. Replace the tip again. Insure the tip is all the way on. If its damaged or sticks down any . Primers will be spit out.

Their is a lot number of Federal primers that the anvil sets to high and will not feed in my 1050 but will in the 550. I am waiting on this to try https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/replacement-brass-ends.html . This is not a recommendation at this time.

Well, like most things in life it's my fault and I'm an idiot. 

Turns out that half moon shaped thing is supposed to have the flat side facing up to block the primer slide from over extending. I had it facing the left to allow the primer slide to move that extra few mm.

Fml. Time to pickup a hundred primers off the floor.

• 1 year later...

After I swung the half moon in place I didn’t have any more issues with it throwing the primers. BUT for the first time today I had two primers go off as they were getting installed into the brass. That part sucks, thank goodness for PPE. 

30 minutes ago, TREE said:

After I swung the half moon in place I didn’t have any more issues with it throwing the primers. BUT for the first time today I had two primers go off as they were getting installed into the brass. That part sucks, thank goodness for PPE. 

I bet that the brass was NT.

Only time I have had a primer detonation. Was a rung primer. Wasn't using the swage at the time. After that always used the swage.

Now all brass is "processed". Puts an end to all kinds of problems.

I can tell every time I have a rung primer on the down stroke. The feeling I get on the 1050 handle is spungy at the bottom of the down stroke. It took awhile to learn this. But once you do it never goes unnoticed. In the beginning I should have had numerous primers go off but the press only crushed them. If I ever automate I will most likely process all brass before loading because I will no longer have the ability to use feeling of the manualy operated press to give me feedback.