Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 gr Coated Bullets in a 2011 KKM Barrel


SJBriggs
 Share

Recommended Posts

For any of you guys with a .40 cal KKM barrel in your 2011s, have you noticed that the OAL for most coated bullets needs to be fairly short? I was having pretty bad accuracy issues with all of the 180 gr coated bullets that I was using except for Blue Bullets. After realizing that I never actually did a plunk test with the coated bullets I was loading, I decided to give it a try. The Blues were fine at 1.17", however, my BBIs needed to be set at 1.125" to seat properly. I also have some SNS that don't even come close to plunking at 1.180", however, I haven't had the time to figure out what length works. After I got this sorted out, the BBI were actually more accurate than the Blues. Fortunately, my 2011 does just fine with standard size loads. Am I the only one with this issue, or has anyone else noticed this as well??? I know that most 2011s like a longer OAL, but this just doesn't seem practical with my barrel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have 3 KKM Barrels all throated just a bit differently.It is not necessarily the fact the bullets are coated, it is the shape and ogive of the bullet. My OAL for Blue Bullets and Brazos Bullets are totally different due to the ogive of the bullet. Also makes quite a difference if they are sized at .400 or .401.  I have one barrel I can run coated .401 @ 1.210, but I choose not to. I have found a happy medium for all the barrels with a few different brands of bullets and stick with those. Not all gunsmiths use the same reamer or throat the barrel the same. You have to find what yours likes and go from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2020 at 12:54 AM, SJBriggs said:

I know that most 2011s like a longer OAL, but this just doesn't seem practical with my barrel.

 

I read this all the time, but it wasn't an issue with any of my 40s.  Both 2011s ran 1.126" through 1.180".  My TS 40 liked 1.126", so that is what I loaded all 40s to.  Everything from RN to TC to JHPs ran fine at that OAL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve noticed that some of the coatings are uneven on different brands. The sides get sized but the noses and ogives can be quite uneven in thickness. I have some syntec that vary .010 in seating depth. If your giving them some room it’s not a problem but if running close some may not plunk. 

Edited by Farmer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, zzt said:

 

I read this all the time, but it wasn't an issue with any of my 40s.  Both 2011s ran 1.126" through 1.180".  My TS 40 liked 1.126", so that is what I loaded all 40s to.  Everything from RN to TC to JHPs ran fine at that OAL.

Same here. I have a 9mm STI, and my custom .40 cal. Both guns run anything I feed them. Maybe we are just lucky. 

 

9 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I’ve noticed that some of the coatings are uneven on different brands. The sides get sized but the noses and ogives can be quite uneven in thickness. I have some syntec that vary .010 in seating depth. If your giving them some room it’s not a problem but if running close some may not plunk. 

I noticed that too. The SNS are super consistent. BBI aren't too bad either, but the Blues seem to vary quite a bit -- at least the batch I got. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SJBriggs said:

Same here. I have a 9mm STI, and my custom .40 cal. Both guns run anything I feed them. Maybe we are just lucky. 

 

I noticed that too. The SNS are super consistent. BBI aren't too bad either, but the Blues seem to vary quite a bit -- at least the batch I got. 

I bought the syntec from midway on a close out just to try. They sure don’t look like the pictures you see of them. Pretty lumpy on the top. They do shoot pretty good, just have to be aware of the seating issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Farmer said:

I bought the syntec from midway on a close out just to try. They sure don’t look like the pictures you see of them. Pretty lumpy on the top. They do shoot pretty good, just have to be aware of the seating issue. 

 

A friend of mine shot Syntecs for quite a while.  He had a squib in every 5 stage SCSA match we shot together.  He now reloads 40sw.  I bought a few boxes of 9mm 150gr on a recommendation.  They will not feed in my PCC.  I do reload everything, but they got such a glowing recommendation I had to try them.  BTW, we shoot the same PCC.  Go figure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, zzt said:

 

A friend of mine shot Syntecs for quite a while.  He had a squib in every 5 stage SCSA match we shot together.  He now reloads 40sw.  I bought a few boxes of 9mm 150gr on a recommendation.  They will not feed in my PCC.  I do reload everything, but they got such a glowing recommendation I had to try them.  BTW, we shoot the same PCC.  Go figure.

Are you talking loaded ammo? The ones I bought were just bullets. They were 10mm 165g RNFP that I wanted for plinker’s/practice in my new 10mm. Kinda wonder if they weren’t blems that Midway picked up cheap and re-boxed as they have done that before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For any of you guys with a .40 cal KKM barrel in your 2011s, have you noticed that the OAL for most coated bullets needs to be fairly short? I was having pretty bad accuracy issues with all of the 180 gr coated bullets that I was using except for Blue Bullets. After realizing that I never actually did a plunk test with the coated bullets I was loading, I decided to give it a try. The Blues were fine at 1.17", however, my BBIs needed to be set at 1.125" to seat properly. I also have some SNS that don't even come close to plunking at 1.180", however, I haven't had the time to figure out what length works. After I got this sorted out, the BBI were actually more accurate than the Blues. Fortunately, my 2011 does just fine with standard size loads. Am I the only one with this issue, or has anyone else noticed this as well??? I know that most 2011s like a longer OAL, but this just doesn't seem practical with my barrel.
From the factory it's a short barrel. I had mine reamed and I load to 1.205 and could go further if desired

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, Rnlinebacker said:

From the factory it's a short barrel. I had mine reamed and I load to 1.205 and could go further if desired

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

Short for sure. Honcho will be here tomorrow, so hopefully I don't need to worry about the KKM too much! If possible, I'm going to stick with BBI for both guns, but we'll see how the two guns compare with similar loads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...