Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bore dia. of Ti comps

BoyGlock

Im about to use a Binary ti 3port comp. Sometime somewhere here I read bore dia of ti comps should be a bit in the .40” side for .38/9 open guns, mainly due to ti comps flex a lot more than steel otherwise bullet strikes be a problem. But a video in Binary engg sub forum showed he used an egw .38/9 .369” dia. alignment reamer to finish his comp bore. 
Now which dia. should I use? How reliable is that .40” dia. info?

Use the EGW Align Reamer.  It does a perfect job of aligning the comp holes with the bore.  If your threads fit properly (tightly) you should have no problem with flex.  If your threads are on the loose side you will need to remedy that first.  Ti comps shoot loose more often than steel comps.  They will definitely shoot loose in a Monster match.  So if you installed the comp on loose threads and it is cocked, align reaming it will not guarantee it will go back in the same position when it shoots loose and you have to re-Loctite it.  You will have to increase the diameter of at least the last baffle to avoid bullet strikes.

Hello: It will depend on how concentric the bore is to the internal threads. If the barrel threads are not concentric with the bore it can be a problem. The alignment reamer will just follow the hole that is already in the comp. It will not pull the hole over if off center. Comps tend to tighten on the barrel if they come loose and cause problems with cycling the pistol. Thanks, Eric

6 hours ago, zzt said:

Ti comps shoot loose more often than steel comps.  They will definitely shoot loose in a Monster match.

This is another concern of mine. Ti being different material from the steel barrel will have different thermal expansion to mated steel and will contribute to breaking down thread lockers and loosen easily though set screws could help to a certain extent.

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Comps tend to tighten on the barrel if they come loose and cause problems with cycling the pistol.

Can you elaborate on this?

Hello: I drill and tap a setscrew in all of the comps. That way they cannot come loose and tighten up. When the comp tightens up or screws more onto the barrel it will soon hit the slide. That will cause a problem of not allowing the pistol to go into battery completly. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Seems Ti needs just a bit more work and detailing for its weight advantage over the heavier steel. Also Im in belief that lighter weight at the muzzle also helps in the reliability of an Open pistol. I had 2 old comped guns w/ long heavy steel comps that would not be reliable no matter what, I cut them comps a bit short to lighten and they ran 100% since. 

Edited by BoyGlock