Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223/5.56 Ammo Cost Locally

gerritm

We shot a small indoor USPSA match last night at a high end, very nice public/member range.  Walked around to check what they has in ammo. Found .223 55gr range type ammo in 100 rounds boxes in stock limit 2 to non-members @ $79.95 per box. Also found 9mm 124gr RN in 50 round boxes for $39.95.

I know ammo cost has skyrocked like I have never seen before. Being on a few mailing lists have found .223 online when available for about .60 per round in 1K cases. Double the cost.

Understand supply & demand, but curious what have you found locally, if available at all? I also know depending on the results of the election it could get even worse.

Is this high cost due solely to supply & demand because of Chinese Bat Flu/election fears or is it that the ammo manufacturers raising the price to the suppliers? Combination?

gerritm

havent bothered to look at a local ammo price in 20 years. Always cheaper and easier to order it. Same with primers and powder.
When the prices of components went way up 15 or so years ago the LGS's never lowered their prices back down even when components came back down. 

15 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

havent bothered to look at a local ammo price in 20 years. Always cheaper and easier to order it. Same with primers and powder.
When the prices of components went way up 15 or so years ago the LGS's never lowered their prices back down even when components came back down. 

Same here, I generally don't buy ammo or reloading components locally and haven't for many years. Didn't and wouldn't buy any last night. More curious what others are finding. Tough to find online now at all. 

gerritm

Its average of $.70/.$80 a round up here in the northeast.  Kinda sad.   Primers are pretty much gone besides the few gougers that are trying to make a buck.  When the shops do get em in, they are picked clean in minutes.  

Just saw some full shelves for 3-4 days locally with pmc bronze 55 fmj for $10.99.  Not terrible (all things considered of course), 5 box limit and people were doing their thing.  Outside of that at Bass Pro, Cabelas, Sportsmans etc. I haven't seen anything in that caliber expensive or cheap.  Sick with the online price gouging, but such is life and as long as people keep buying prices keep going up. 

My local range has managed to stock most things but only sells a box or two for people shooting there, prices are up about 15% from their normal.  It's nice it's there for guys that come in and want to shoot a box or two.