Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TSO FTF ISSUES

mcmmotorsports

Hello everyone. Hopefully you can help me with my issue. This TSO has a little over 1,000 rounds through it. Same with all five of my magazines. My last match, I had 7 FTF malfunctions. I thought it was an OAL issue, so I lengthened the rounds to 1.135 from 1.126. That didn’t help as it happened today at the range and I am able to recreate the issue, at home, by racking the slide with rounds in the magazine. Other than a mag catch issue, could the grams followers be an issue? 
Video:

5 minutes ago, Lowsc3 said:

How many rounds are you putting in the mag? I run 20 in my .40 i could fit 21 but i think its to tight of a fit to have the slide cycle properly. Also is it with just the one mag or all of them?

20 rounds. Does it with all mags.

I had this issue before when the gun was fairly new. Usually a push on the slide or rack of the slide and that was it. I'm roughly 5 k rounds now and it hasn't happened for a long time I chalked it up to some break in. 

I run grams guts in all my TSO mags (.40 & 9mm) and don't have the issue you have.   Couple of things I'd checkout before changing mags/followers.

1) Remove the magwell and grips and see if this changes anything.

2) With slide locked back, insert a loaded mag and see if the shell case is hitting the ejector, preventing the mag from full seating

3) Check mag release to see if there are any burrs or irregularities that would prevent the mag from seating correctly. 

4) If this is a newer TSO with the removable mag release paddle (like the S2) check to see if the paddle making contact with anything

what recoil spring are you using?  

did you mess with the extractor / extractor spring at all? 

CZ like SHORT or Sammy spec / factory rounds.  lengthening them will only make issues worse.  CZ cannot shoot lengths 2011s can, they are notorious for SHORT rounds only. 

7 hours ago, IF788 said:

what recoil spring are you using?  

did you mess with the extractor / extractor spring at all? 

CZ like SHORT or Sammy spec / factory rounds.  lengthening them will only make issues worse.  CZ cannot shoot lengths 2011s can, they are notorious for SHORT rounds only. 

16lb Wolff recoil spring

Extractor and spring are stock, less than 1,500 rounds on them.

I had 7 FTF malfunctions at my last match, with sammi spec loads. 1.126. The video above is with 1.135.

10 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I run grams guts in all my TSO mags (.40 & 9mm) and don't have the issue you have.   Couple of things I'd checkout before changing mags/followers.

1) Remove the magwell and grips and see if this changes anything.

2) With slide locked back, insert a loaded mag and see if the shell case is hitting the ejector, preventing the mag from full seating

3) Check mag release to see if there are any burrs or irregularities that would prevent the mag from seating correctly. 

4) If this is a newer TSO with the removable mag release paddle (like the S2) check to see if the paddle making contact with anything

1: Going to try that this morning after coffee

3: I will check that too

4: 1st gen TSO

All 5 of my mags have grams guts. Tried last night putting stock spring, follower and base pad on one of my mags, still had the FTF issue

39 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

It’s almost like the mag isn't seated all the way.

Maybe your bumping the mag release 

just enough so the mag backs out slightly. 

Is it your first mag of the stage ?

or after a reload ?  

It is not magazine related. Pretty sure we have isolated it to a bullet profile issue
The PMC and Black load fine. The Blue is giving me fits.

IMG_8355.jpg

1 minute ago, mcmmotorsports said:

It is not magazine related. Pretty sure we have isolated it to a bullet profile issue
The PMC and Black load fine. The Blue is giving me fits.

Now that helps. 

If this is an issue with a single bullet profile (my previous assumption was this occurred with all ammo) it's going to be OAL or bullet geometry related, almost guaranteed, as case, mags and gun geometry are all pretty much constants.  Since there are lots of folks shooting blue bullets in TSO's my wager would be on the OAL.  I don't use blue, so can't provide any guidance there. My BBI loads are around 1.12-1.13. 

1 minute ago, muncie21 said:

Now that helps. 

If this is an issue with a single bullet profile (my previous assumption was this occurred with all ammo) it's going to be OAL or bullet geometry related, almost guaranteed, as case, mags and gun geometry are all pretty much constants.  Since there are lots of folks shooting blue bullets in TSO's my wager would be on the OAL.  I don't use blue, so can't provide any guidance there. My BBI loads are around 1.12-1.13. 

I've had issues at 1.135 and 1.126. Not sure if I should try longer or shorter. Not sure I want to, lol

I have some 1.15 BBI rounds (for my 2011) that I was able to hand cycle through my TSO.  I didn't remove the barrel to see if the rounds would plunk correctly, but they did hand cycle with no problem.

Why not create a few dummy rounds of each length (shorter/longer) and see what works.

11 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

My guess would be shooter error. I think you are just trying to find an excuse to keep shooting a gun with an optic. :)

When I got the email notification, I didn’t even have to look for the user name to know who sent this. 😂

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 4:47 PM, mcmmotorsports said:

Hello everyone. Hopefully you can help me with my issue. This TSO has a little over 1,000 rounds through it. Same with all five of my magazines. My last match, I had 7 FTF malfunctions. I thought it was an OAL issue, so I lengthened the rounds to 1.135 from 1.126. That didn’t help as it happened today at the range and I am able to recreate the issue, at home, by racking the slide with rounds in the magazine. Other than a mag catch issue, could the grams followers be an issue? 
Video:

I'm having the same issue with my TSO 40.

Base-pads: Springer Precision

Springs and Followers: CZCustoms 10 coil

Rounds:  FP Plated OAL 1.129 and FP Coated OAL 1.126

I've loaded some dummy rounds at 1.135 and still having the issue on occasion.  I did purchase some CZCustoms basepads in an attempt to fix this issue, but I have yet to try them as I've been trying other things instead.  

By chance are you using springer precision base-pads? 

8 hours ago, marco207p said:

I've loaded some dummy rounds at 1.135 and still having the issue on occasion.  I did purchase some CZCustoms basepads in an attempt to fix this issue, but I have yet to try them as I've been trying other things instead.  

Hello, your issue is the magazine feed lips. I have since sold the gun, but this video should help you:

Edited by mcmmotorsports

On 12/27/2020 at 11:08 PM, marco207p said:

I had a couple FTF issues w the CZCustom 10 coil and the CZC base pad at the range. Didn’t want to mess with it so ordered a grams and use the stock spring w CZC base pads in 2 of my mags. So far no issues (knock on wood). Curious to hear what ends up fixing your FTF. Good luck. 

4 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

Ahhhhh ok thank you for the update. Wad that something that came from the factory that way?

Oh no not factory, probably just happened from multiple dropping of the mags during matches. Once I tuned the magazines, it ran flawless again.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:38 PM, mcmmotorsports said:

Oh no not factory, probably just happened from multiple dropping of the mags during matches. Once I tuned the magazines, it ran flawless again.

Ahhhh gotchya gotchya. That would make sense about the feed lips getting damaged