Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 5906pc 5 Inch Production Gun

JakeMartens

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to get information on the Performance Center 5906 5 inch model. I was thinking about this as a production gun, anyone have one?

I don't have the exact gun, but I do have a 5" PC 5906 PPC9. One of the sweetest shooting guns I've ever seen. There's a lot of potential in the 5906 platform. The Performance Center does an awesome job on the triggers and slide-to-frame fit. If the version you're talking about has a Briley bushing than it should shoot amazing groups (My PPC9 shoots about 2" groups at 50 yards). The only qualms guys seem to have with the 5906 as an action gun is the ergonomics. The axis of bore is kind of high, the grip is square (it works for some and not others, I personally like the feel of mine, make sure to hold one before you buy), and the safety is out of the way (high) and has to be flipped UP, instead of the way JMB intended. I think John Flentz shoots one of these, see if you can get a hold of him on the forum. Good Luck.

I did some research on these earlier this year and the PC version of the 5906 is one sweet Production gun, though apparently they come at a high price & with little to no availability.

PICT0154.jpg

From what I gather, if you are able to place an order for this Production gun, you can select a 4", a 5" or a 6" version. Other options are various slide configurations including a special heavy slide to cut down on recoil. You can specify front and rear cocking serrations in either traditional or snakeskin. A detachable magazine well is available too. As far as I know, all versions are built using S&W's excellent spherical bushing that is coated with Titanium Nitridefor both slick reliability and yet with very tight lock up. How tight? The versions built up for PPC apparently shoot an inch or so at 50 yards witht he right ammo.Another benefit is that your gun is apparently built by a single PC gunsmith from start to test fire.

It took some searching to find any info on these PC versions of the 5906 and they are not listed on the PC section of the S&W website; when I called the PC, I was told the PC 5906 was not available but I think they may still build them for the right customer. The only one I was able to find used on the net went for $1600. The regular 4" 4906 can be found for under $500 (well under that for the police trade-ins) but the ones I have fired were not particularly accurate or reliable. I think for Production Division, the PC version would be the way to go.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Edited by Carlos

I found these photos of a PC5906..some are in the PPC configuration..

you can get a pretty sweet trigger on the 5906..if you can get hold of one..it would be pretty trick..

post-627-1129941104_thumb.jpg post-627-1129941128_thumb.jpg post-627-1129941156_thumb.jpg

Edited by eerw

There are a few of us floating around that feel this gun isn't really legal for Production.

But, I saw a few at the Nationals...

I do have a buddy that shoots one. He knows somebody at S&W and that is the only way he was able to get one at the time (Some Team S&W shooter didn't believe that he had one until he proved it to them).

The quality of his gun is very nice. Which isn't a surprise really...since it is what I will call hand built.

Thanks for all the info.

I called Tom Gordon at the Performance Center and spoke with him about the gun.

There are 2 versions with the da/sa trigger, the 4 inch (170093) and the 5 inch (170265)

With fixed Novak sights.

They will take orders and it is a "couple of months wait" He quoted me a price of $1300-1400.

He said it is everything you expect from the PC, hand fitted, reliable and a tac driver.

So that put if right there with the SiG 226 stainless Sport Stock, the other gun I have been considering.

I have checked out a 5906 and liked the feel of the grip, and I have checked out the standard Sig 226 stainless and also liked it as well. Haven't shot either one, I have shot Sigs just not that model.

Alright I guess it is decision time (the pounding sound will be me hitting my head against the wall)

I called Tom Gordon at the Performance Center and spoke with him about the gun.

They will take orders... He quoted me a price... from the PC...hand fitted

That is all the stuff that makes it a Custom gun, in my opinion...not a "Production" gun.

(The 5in. is nice.)

5906's are great guns...have a 5 inch PPC5906 myself in the collection.

For the money though, you could buy a Glock or a CZ with spare mags , holster and mag pouches plus have enough cash left over for lunch for the price of a PC5906.

Plus...no waiting !

Thanks & credit goes to Tom/9146 for hosting & posting the above photo originally on Glocktalk's Competition section in response to my earlier search for this gun. I don't know if Tom owns that collection or whether he borrowed the photo but it represents some of the many options avaialble for building a PC-5906. Also, a note of clarification on calling S&W: when I called S&W I did not take down the person's name but she stated that if it was not on the Performance Center's website, it was not available - although she did add that the Performance Center could perform a trigger job/reliability package on a customer's 5906. However, I believe she was talking about the regular Model 5906 which is a 4" gun and the original poster of this thread is not looking for the regular production 4" gun; rather, he specified a 5" PC 5906. I'd also go for the alternate race hammer and magazine well picturerd above & the snakeskin checkering. It looks like the person to talk with at the PC to get your hands on a real PC 5906 would be Tom Gordon and I noticed that his name also appears on the test target pictured above too. If that is a 50 meter group, all I can say is: wow.

Edited by Carlos

if they're not catalog items...how can they be considered PD legal ?

are they not supposed to be "readily available?"

not sure..but I think its because they call it a 5906..since that gun is on the approved list..it is good to go..

seems like that question has been asked a lot..but have never seen anything formally protested/asked about that situation..Maybe other companies like CZ, Glock, EAA should start doing custom made production guns..would hate to see that..as some of the guns are getting pretty expensive already..

The product codes that Jake posted are correct. I have the 4" gun and just ordered the 5". Call Beth at 800 331-0852 Ex-207 to order or for questions she can get you in touch with Tom Gordon.

Now if they would build a fixed sight version of the PPC9 5" gun!!

Carlos yes the gun's in the photo are mine. The magwell is easy to remove and many do if they do not have mags with bumpers on them. The 5" gun with the light slide profile is an early gun and they don't do that any more... the hammer on the 4"IDPA gun" is stock the other guns are SA PPC9's with stock hammers ...checkering seems to be different batch to batch

Tom Johansen

Edited by 9146gt

Thanks to everyone that helped with getting the info and pictures.

I didn't want to open a can or worms about what should be Production Legal or not

The arguement could be made that what would be the difference between buying a Production 5906 and sending it to the Performance Center to have the same stuff done or sending a SA XD back the the SA Custom Shop or Canyon Creek, or having Matt or Angus work over your CZ etc etc

Or I guess in the new Single Stack Division you can only use a SA Mil Spec model and not your $3000 Ed Brown custom 1911.

It is a game and it has always been about pushing the limits and getting the most out of your equipment and yourself.

After shooting the last year in Limited 10 with a single stack 1911 in .45acp in standard Comp-Tac gear I am looking to try something new but still use "standard gear". Instead of getting a highly customized Limited gun with huge magwell, lightened slide with a 1/2 pound trigger coming out of a race holster, to me that is not practical. But getting a standard production gun and having it "customized" by "enhancing" its accuracy, trigger, sights and reliability OR starting with one set up like that is practical.

It is very "PRACTICAL" to have a carry gun customized for top performance and reliability and IMO that is what the Performance Center or the Custom Shop at SA and the other gunsmiths do. The Performance Center starts with production slides, frames, barrels, sights, triggers and go from there.

Which is exactly what Glock did when they came out with the 34 and 35, with "custom" features, sights, trigger, and enhanced controls for performance.

Anyway that is just my opinion and how I feel about it, no need to FLAME or BASH me for my thoughts and tell me that the 34's and 35's are standard production models etc.

Thanks again for the info

Yea...I still shoot a bit of PPC when I can find a match. S&W does build a 5 inch DA/SA 5906 with low profile adjustable sights that used the factory stock dovetail but it was for export only. I remember seeing it on the S&W website under their International catalog link (that's no longer there). It may be worth a call to Smith to see if you can get your hands on one.

It may take a few calls and I'd almost bet that you'll need to speak to the P.C. or the export desk to get the info you require.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck D

Jake I'm sure no one is flamin' or bashin' you.

Actually the Glock 34 and 35 came out a few years before the production division came about. So that arguement won't work. The Smith 59 series guns are very good guns, but most of the PC shop guns are hard to come by without the dealer special ordering them.

No I didn't think that I was getting flamed, I was just heading it off with my opinion on the custom/production guns. Yes the 34/35 was out before, I was just pointing out that it was Glock's answer to people wanting a more "enhanced" competition pistol. It was actually an answer to IDPA SSP division.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Sig 226 Sport Stock and the PC 5906

OR

will the standard production models satisfy me and my wallet

Hi everyone,

Let me add my 2 cents but I will not name names as to not embarrass the innocent. Yesterday I fired one of the 5" performance center 5906's well sort of. A well known local shooter was able to buy a 5" PC top end directly from S&W and mate it to his already owned S&W 5906 TSW (I am not sure if he sent the frame to S&W and had the upper unit fit to the frame or if it was drop in. I fired a bunch of rounds through it and it ran like a champ, was plenty accuracte and handled well for such a heavy gun. I also have a CZ SP-01 and it is quite a bit heavier. By the way he told me what S&W charged him for the upper and it was quite a bit less than what the full blown PC guns are. Also the 5" upper was de-cock only hot the traditional safety and he mentioned it was a Singapore Export model upper.