Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free Online Ballistics Software...

EricW

JBM's Online Ballistics Program

I've been using this to work up trajectory cards for my rifle - a looong overdue project. I did a sanity check against Sierra's published data and they're in pretty close agreement. The software was produced by Robert Mc Coy of the Army Ballistics Lab so at least that gives one some warm fuzzies.

Super easy to use. And FAST! It's very easy to copy and paste into excel and get a nice result.

OK, here's this evening's project: Trajectory Card in Excel (Right click on the link and select "save as" to download the file onto yer 'puter.

I set up my Trajectory card so that I could do a copy and paste from the JBM site into four pages of an Excel spreadsheet. This automatically barfs out a traj. card with drop, windage, and leads in MOA and inches. You have to run 4 sets of calculations in JBM and copy and paste the entire page. The worksheet titles should make it obvious how it works.

There's also a short table for slope angle correction with the traditional multipliers and my system of % subtraction. I find it easier to mentally subtract %s than long multiplication on a napkin. We'll see if I'm right out in the field. I'm hoping my Silva compass's clinometer will suffice for a field-expedient angle tool.

I set my card up so that the ranges from 0 to 400 are in 25 yard increments for increased interpolation accuracy for precision events. After 400, I let it be in 50 yard increments. No clue if that's right or wrong, but that's what I'm doing. 25 yd increments for the whole thing just made it too hard to read.

The back side of the card is going to have an image of my reticle with dimensions in MOA. I won't bother posting that since I'm probably one of six people on the planet my my brand of reticle.

The goal is to end up with a little spiral book of trajectory cards that will sit on the rifle in a stock pack for each type of ammo I use. (The Hornady 168 gr. A-Max is looking interesting.)

Maybe this will help someone else...maybe not. Will this do a damn thing for me at a match? Who knows.... :wacko:

Edited by EricW

• 2 weeks later...

Eric,

You are going to want both a static or hardcopy for the local conditions and loads along with a palm proggie to take into account varying conditions - especially temp changes.

Call me sometime and I will get you going in the right direction.

Take care,

Matt

Just what we need...another electronic gadget to drag to the battlefield. Oh, and batteries too. Get you a Mildot Master, a mildot scope, some bullet dope, and head to the range. It a'int rocket science.

Mr. Warren,

There are a few of us that do compete in shooting events to keep the edge honed in preparation to conduct combat operations on the battlefield. We continue to develop our craft and gain the edge.

Thank a Vet on the 11th hour of the 11th day on the 11th month.

Then there are those of us who like to keep our edge honed in case of Zombie attack. Everyone knows that precise upper A/B hits are best when dealing with the undead. This skill set requires mucho practice to maintain and even though it is past Halloween, I'm not lettin' up ;-)

A ballistic computer will not range for you, to be sure. But a mildot master won't tell you the exact dope for your rifle and load in changing conditions. I guess you could carry a notebook with reams of dope for every combination of altitude, temperature, pressure and humidity, but I prefer an electronic solution for that part. Like any calculation, the more data the better the answer. so I record data throughout the year(s) so I have various temps, altitudes, etc. stored for a given load/rifle. Makes it easy to get very accurate dope for a given set of conditions, once you know the range.

When I spend thousands of dollars to get to a faraway place, then hike for days to get one shot at a (for me) trophy animal, I want that one shot to go where I intend. Shame on me if I don't do everything I can to ensure that outcome. Having the best tools I can get and learning how to use them works for me. I use 3-Gun as an opportunity to use all the tools I have to stay familiar with them. For example, on our last elk hunt we covered an area with over 4500 ft. of elevation change and encountered temperatures ranging from 8-68 degrees (Farenheit). I was lucky enough to get a shot that was only 225 yards. My partner killed a 6x7 bull at 660 yards. We were very comfortable with our calcs and took the shot. Would not have tried it without good data.

Not saying this is for everyone, and Erik's plan for trajectory cards is a good one, especially when you can get a 10-day forecast from weather.com and predict range conditions for an upcoming match. I also have Ballisticards for most of my rifles (from Schwiebert Precision). In fact, what I recommend for a complete kit is:

Ballisticards - scope dope

Mildot Master - all purpose field ranging

Slope Doper - up/downhill corrections or...

Angle Cosine Indicator - (faster but pricey)

Laser range finder - faster than mildot master for many situations

ATRAG2 - current conditions scope dope

Kestrel 4000 wind meter - all atmospheric conditions

Necessary for many? Nope. But lots of good shooters in the Afghan mountains have been using all of this stuff since 2002, with good success.

God bless them.

• 1 month later...
Then there are those of us who like to keep our edge honed in case of Zombie attack. Everyone knows that precise upper A/B hits are best when dealing with the undead. This skill set requires mucho practice to maintain and even though it is past Halloween, I'm not lettin' up ;-)

Lol... What you said. Granted it's still good to know how to use the old fashioned stuff in case the go faster gadgets break.

atek3

• 11 months later...

I purchases the Horus software and I have a Horus Reticle. The coolest thing is that the software will work in older palm Pilots that are available on Ebay for $15.00.

Thats right, I got a new in box, old Palm m500 for 15.00 and the software comes on a card to go into the expansion slot. I can't even get a box of .308 heads anywhere for 15.00.

-Neil