Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 mag release on TSO?

looking4reloadingdeals

Can anyone here give me any info on if a S2 mag release will work on a TSO? I just bought a TSO and have come to really like the mag release on my S2.

I saw one other extremely short thread saying that it won’t work stock, but you can take some material off so that it will work.

I will be using stock TSO mags

Any experience is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would need to open up the inside portion of the s2 mag release since the tso mags are wider than the s2 mags if you plan on using the s2 mag release on the tso. Or as the above poster stated you would need to drill and tap the factory tso mag release to add the paddle. There was a thread on here awhile back regarding this. 

Edited by mveto

If your TSO is an old version, you have to drill, tap (the stock TSO mag release) and to use the shadow pad. You also have to grind it down to 30.56mm so it’ll be the same length as the stock (33.53mm) once you install the shadow 2 mag release pad (2.97mm). You also need a 3.9mm long and 2.03mm diameter roll pin so the pad can be positioned in three different positions.

Before you drill and tap, heat the mag release in order to soften the metal. The mag release is hardened. If you have carbide bits, you can use them but annealing the mag release makes drilling and tapping easier.

Here are some pictures when I did it back in 2018.

6485666-F-4693-40-B3-9-B99-6329005-B19-D

F8-F664-A2-E887-4-B50-BB9-C-17-B834-D150

If your TSO is an old version, you have to drill, tap (the stock TSO mag release) and to use the shadow pad. You also have to grind it down to 30.56mm so it’ll be the same length as the stock (33.53mm) once you install the shadow 2 mag release pad (2.97mm). You also need a 3.9mm long and 2.03mm diameter roll pin so the pad can be positioned in three different positions.

Before you drill and tap, heat the mag release in order to soften the metal. The mag release is hardened. If you have carbide bits, you can use them but annealing the mag release makes drilling and tapping easier.

Here are some pictures when I did it back in 2018.
6485666-F-4693-40-B3-9-B99-6329005-B19-D8.jpg

F8-F664-A2-E887-4-B50-BB9-C-17-B834-D1504-B.jpg

Interesting, thanks George. How do I determine if mine is an old version? Do you know what the reason the S2 release cannot be used on the old versions?

2 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Interesting, thanks George. How do I determine if mine is an old version? Do you know what the reason the S2 release cannot be used on the old versions?

If your TSO is 2018 and older, it’s the old version without the pad. The 2019 and newer TSOs have the pad on the mag release.

The shadow 2 mag release’s cut is narrower compared to the TSO mag release.

Here’s a side by side picture of the modified TSO (grind, drill and tapped for a pad) and stock shadow 2 mag release without the pad (it’s installed on the modified TSO.

7-A34-FE75-8713-41-ED-8698-83-EF27-F5926

as you can see, the gap is wider on the TSO. It’s wider to facilitate the insertion of the wider TS, TSO and Czechmate mags. Additionally, the bottom curve is more angular and the cutout on the top is longer and deeper on the TSO.

• 2 years later...
Just now, GrumpyOne said:

Pretty sure the TSO mags are a different size (slightly wider than Cz 75 mags). Like trying using a 75 mag in a P07, P09.

Yes, that is true. I was asking if a Shadow 2 mag release (with it's narrow opening for thinner cz75 mags) could be installed in the TSO so it could accept normal cz75 mags (and not wider TS ones).