Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

R8 Open

Makicjf

I've ordered an alachin mount, an optic and a holster for my R8.  I'm trying with the idea of having it ported, too 

1) does the sleeve construction of the barrel even allow for porting?  If so, would a 627 be a better, more durable option for an all out Revo "race gun"  for both major and minor loads.

If it's not practical with the sleeve is a barrel change on a 627then ported or a V-Comp a better idea?

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

I used a TRR8 for many years, for my steel challenge guns.  IMO the only reason to go with the scandium frame is to maintain a very light weight for a game like steel challenge, I only ever shot sub minor ( 90 pf ) loads in the TRR8 guns. Moving up to minor, and major loads didnt do me any favors with the light weight frame.

( Yes, you can have the barrel ported, even though its sleeved )

I've since moved on to modified steel frame 627 frames ( Ti cylinders, and a lighter barrel ) I find that it offers a bit more in the longevity of the frames while still being light enough for steel challenge.

9 minutes ago, alecmc said:

I used a TRR8 for many years, for my steel challenge guns.  IMO the only reason to go with the scandium frame is to maintain a very light weight for a game like steel challenge, I only ever shot sub minor ( 90 pf ) loads in the TRR8 guns. Moving up to minor, and major loads didnt do me any favors with the light weight frame.

( Yes, you can have the barrel ported, even though its sleeved )

I've since moved on to modified steel frame 627 frames ( Ti cylinders, and a lighter barrel ) I find that it offers a bit more in the longevity of the frames while still being light enough for steel challenge.

Thanks for the info!

Jason

On 7/26/2020 at 12:17 PM, Makicjf said:

I've ordered an alachin mount, an optic and a holster for my R8.  I'm trying with the idea of having it ported, too 

1) does the sleeve construction of the barrel even allow for porting?  If so, would a 627 be a better, more durable option for an all out Revo "race gun"  for both major and minor loads.

If it's not practical with the sleeve is a barrel change on a 627then ported or a V-Comp a better idea?

Jason

The R8 is a fine gun. If you like a lighter gun, then by all means shoot the R8. 

The scandium revolvers from Smith didn’t seem to stand up as well to heavy competition use compared to stainless guns. Like Alec above, I also had a 327, mine was the JM, which is even lighter than the R8s, and personally I found it too light to shoot minor as comfortably as a steel gun. 

I know everyone says that lighter guns transition faster, and technically in a scientific sense they do, but I have yet to see anyone prove that at the range. What I do find useful for the lighter gun, especially in steel challenge, is the repetitive movement of drawing the gun in practice doesn’t take as much toll on the shoulder and elbow as a full weight gun does. 

You can port the barrel on the R8, but porting does almost nothing. Looks cool though. But the gun can’t go backwards to stock, and it’s difficult to sell that gun one day if you aren’t committed to it. 

I say shoot the R8 for a season or two and compare it to the 627. See what you like and don’t like. I think everyone I know ends up using the R8 for steel challenge and has 627s for minor and major loads.

13 hours ago, MWP said:

You can port the barrel on the R8, but porting does almost nothing. Looks cool though. But the gun can’t go backwards to stock, and it’s difficult to sell that gun one day if you aren’t committed to it. 

I know you and Alec have gone over ports and comps like 50 times, but could you explain it for a 51st time?

Why wouldn’t porting work on an R8 specifically? 

1 hour ago, RangerMcFadden said:

I know you and Alec have gone over ports and comps like 50 times, but could you explain it for a 51st time?

Saying it wouldn't work probably isn't the best way to say it.   Saying it doesnt really do enough to make a enough of a difference to really matter is probably more appropriate. 

With the type of powder we typically use there really isnt enough pressures , like in our semi auto open shooter counter parts, to have enough gas to drive it down.

I think the most effective type of porting, if any, with revolvers and the common types of powders we use are mid-ports. The powders pressure spike happens about half way down the barrel, so having the ports there make the most sense to be.

That being said. I run mid-ports on my open ( minor ) gun and will continue to do so,  it helps * a little * , but dont expect a night and day change.

My open steel challenge gun I dont run any porting or comps, with my dinky 90 PF ammo it's already very manageable. 

Edited by alecmc

15 hours ago, MWP said:

The R8 is a fine gun. If you like a lighter gun, then by all means shoot the R8. 

The scandium revolvers from Smith didn’t seem to stand up as well to heavy competition use compared to stainless guns. Like Alec above, I also had a 327, mine was the JM, which is even lighter than the R8s, and personally I found it too light to shoot minor as comfortably as a steel gun. 

I know everyone says that lighter guns transition faster, and technically in a scientific sense they do, but I have yet to see anyone prove that at the range. What I do find useful for the lighter gun, especially in steel challenge, is the repetitive movement of drawing the gun in practice doesn’t take as much toll on the shoulder and elbow as a full weight gun does. 

I say shoot the R8 for a season or two and compare it to the 627. See what you like and don’t like. I think everyone I know ends up using the R8 for steel challenge and has 627s for minor and major loads.

I actually prefer, for better or worse,  a stouter firearm.  I managed to bring 400 round of 105 pf 38 special ( for two divisions) and leave my 627 at home, in the gun bag for Saturdays steel challenge match. One of the guys loaned me a Ruger lite Mark .22 with a dot.  I actually under transitioned slowly for the first 2 runs: I never realized how much I ride the recoil into the next target.  I found myself swiveling more and over swinging as the day wore on.  I bought the R8 live on the night stand and my wife requested a dot, so after enjoying the dot on the 22 I decided finish the set  up.  I then realized a dotted 357,ported and firing major loads might be fun to shoot actual open with.  My trepidations about the longevity of the R8 appear to be confirmed, so I'll put it together and shoot the 105 pf in OSR. I should have the R8 up and running by next weeks Wednesday night match, so I'll know more about my preferences then. If I ever actually do build a Major power factor "open" piece, what revo would you suggest?  A 627, a V-Comp or something else?

Thanks!

Jason

The scandium N frames I have handled have a steel insert around the cylinder pin hole in the breech face. The only place I would worry about wear on these guns is the hand slot, and the power of the load would not affect wear at that location.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

55 minutes ago, PatJones said:

The scandium N frames I have handled have a steel insert around the cylinder pin hole in the breech face. The only place I would worry about wear on these guns is the hand slot, and the power of the load would not affect wear at that location.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

I was told (dont have one) that the cylinder stop opening in the frame is what gets beat up, probably more of a issue in ICORE/USPSA where your running the trigger hard and fast on close targets with multiple shots, steel with (hopefully) 1 shot per transition is probably easier on things.

I was told (dont have one) that the cylinder stop opening in the frame is what gets beat up, probably more of a issue in ICORE/USPSA where your running the trigger hard and fast on close targets with multiple shots, steel with (hopefully) 1 shot per transition is probably easier on things.
I suppose it would see a bit if wear there, how much depends on how you run the trigger. If you slap the trigger rather than squeeze it, the cylinder speed would be higher.

Doesn't Power Custom still make oversized cylinder stops if need be?

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

12 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Sorry, Alec said it best. Mid ports or a proper comp have more usefulness I believe than muzzle ports. Of course, the load needs to match the choice of holes.