Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moved the powder measure to Station #3 on my 650

Long story short, it was taking too much elbow grease to resize and load 9mm with the EGW/Lee Undersize die in Station # 1.

All my powder measures have received the retrograde treatment.  No need for the powder bar failsafe rod.

So I moved the PM to the # 3 slot.

The U die went to the #2 station.

Then at the # 1 station, I installed a Dillon 9mm resizing/decapping die.  It acted like a pre-re-sizer.

I wet tumble first after decapping the brass, so these two sizing dies pictures below have their decapping rods removed.

I checked, re-checked, and checked again the charges the PM was throwing.  Everything checked okay, snd I always put my Mark I eyeball on the freshly charged case to check for powder before my fingers set a bullet on top of the case.

Have you ever moved your Dillon PM to a different station besides # 2 (on a 650) ?

AB74E26C-66F2-4282-B97B-25FE939C3E4A.jpeg

I load 45 and 9 mm on my 650's and always run my powder measures in station 3 because I have Lyman M-dies in station 2. Been doing that for about 15 years now, never had a problem. Even when I run a powder measure in station 2 (for loading .223 and .308) I always prefer a (double) return spring over the fail safe rod. Not saying it's better but it is what I prefer.

I've run the same setup in 9, 40, and 38 special for years.  I did run the failsafe rod by rotating the powder measure.  I've recently started processing my brass with a U-die on a Lee APP.  I'm going to free up the station on my 650 for a bullet feeder.  

8 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

Have you ever moved your Dillon PM to a different station besides # 2 (on a 650) ?

I used the same setup until I got my bullet feeder. But, I kept the fail safe rod even after the fartknocker mod. The reason is that the press ran easier with only one spring on the PM. Try it. 😉

On my 650 I moved the PM to station 3 not long after I got it simply to reduce the number of rotations a the case with powder in it would be exposed to. This dramatically reduced the powder "sloshing" issue because it has one less opportunity to slosh. I also retained the fail safe rod and simply rotated the PM to the right so the rod was still vertical.

As a side note, I am also glad that I moved the the PM to station 3 after having a couple primers get lit off in station 2 while priming crimped primer pocket cases. Having the PM right above the priming situation in station 2 seems like a recipe for failure if a primer goes off and ignites the powder right above it.