Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 first build newbie help question!

Hey guys I’m hoping for some help because I’ve never owned a 1911/2011 and I’m planning on jumping feet first and doing a build.

i currently own a Glock 40 for the woods, an HK USP45 tac for home, and a 9mm target gun. I’ve been getting into 80% lowers and Cnc and I have been considering trying to replace all 3 pistols with essentially 1 2011 frame/trigger and a 9mm, 10mm, and 45 slide. Is it possible to interchange slides like this? Are the magazines all the same size? 

any help would be greatly appreciated, it’s hard to find info online and I really am jumping into This blind.

Most people I know who run 2 slides run 9mm and 40s&w. This can be done but you will need magazines for each caliber. I see the appeal of having one frame and multiple slides, but If I was doing this I'd keep the Glock for the woods. I also run a Glock 22 for when I hunt as a sidearm. Having a slide built out for each will cost as much if not more than each gun. 

29 minutes ago, Mike777927251 said:

Hey guys I’m hoping for some help because I’ve never owned a 1911/2011 and I’m planning on jumping feet first and doing a build.

i currently own a Glock 40 for the woods, an HK USP45 tac for home, and a 9mm target gun. I’ve been getting into 80% lowers and Cnc and I have been considering trying to replace all 3 pistols with essentially 1 2011 frame/trigger and a 9mm, 10mm, and 45 slide. Is it possible to interchange slides like this? Are the magazines all the same size? 

any help would be greatly appreciated, it’s hard to find info online and I really am jumping into This blind.

Yes it is possible to fit 3 slides and barrels to 1 frame, you will probably find that it is exponentially harder than fitting one slide and barrel to a frame. 

If you have not built a 19/2011 yet I would not suggest making this your first attempt, they are MUCH harder to build than most other pistols as most of the parts require quite a bit of fitting.

As others said, the fitting process for the frame to slide and barrel to frame (VIS) makes it difficult. You're usually removing material from the bottom and inner parts of the slide as well as outermost and deck on the frame. However, I think doing a 10mm/40sw and a 9mm barrel in a single slide can often be done (clark/para ramp). The magazines for the 2011 will be different (and expensive) between calibers. I would recommend pricing it out entirely before you commit to this; it cost me 2-3x more than I anticipated; the small parts add up in price. Minimum tools in addition to your mill will be the brownells lug fitting kit and locking lug file. I would recommend the Kart EZ fit barrel, the oval link makes the VIS aspect easier.

Watch MosinVirus's videos on youtube.

Edited by Benevolence