Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S7, 3V, or 4340 slide stop?

FALAR

With so many broken slide stops why hasn't any one in the aftermarket developed a replacement made from a shock resistant grade of steel?

You'd think it would be fairly easy to do and it would be a popular upgrade.

Looks like a pain in the butt little part that won’t fit through most Swiss screw machine collets. Lots of metal removal on a mill, then heat treat, then salt bath nitride... to compete with a $34 OEM part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, arkadi said:

I believe Tanfoglio slide stop is two-piece part. IIRC, only broke one thru the years, or none.

Interesting.  On my chrome Tanfoglio slide stops there is a large circle easily visible on them (blued ones, a little less so) around where the base of the pin meets the part that stays outside of the gun.  I always assumed this was just a casting flaw/mold marking.  I had never considered it could be evidence of welding.

Edited by FALAR

Some local shooters in Limited or CO are replacing their slide stops with straight pins for this reason.  Not a big deal if you have 19+ rounds in a mag, though I won't do it as a Production shooter.

I carry a spare slide stop in my bag but have never actually worried about it breaking. My guns only see minor loads.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:23 PM, arkadi said:

I believe Tanfoglio slide stop is two-piece part. IIRC, only broke one thru the years, or none.

yes 2 pc. pin is hammer forged into the second part.. no welding😉 properly designed part since  1990

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 12:23 PM, yigal said:

It's riveted.  Call it whatever you want. The main thing is that you will be satisfied.  😉

I may have asked this before, but which part is the Tanfo slide stop for a TSO?  I searched a little, but not sure I found the right part number.

Thanks!