Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Taper crimp for 45 acp 1911

GearHead36

3 hours ago, GearHead36 said:

now have taper crimp dies in 9 and 45 on order. I want the 9 die so I can seat and crimp separately. I wish the mfrs would sell die sets targeted at progressive presses, with a sizer die, a seating die and a crimp die.

Hear you go

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/handgun-dies/pro-series-carbide-g1298-die-sets-prod37510.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=redding

and of course

https://www.dillonprecision.com/carbide-pistol-dies-three-die-sets_8_4_24445.html

I believe Lyman makes one now

Lee makes sets with a seperate crimp die also

Edited by AHI

• 1 month later...

I have never found a taper crimp die from any manufacturer to be superior to any one else's. If shooting lead bullets, don't bother with the Lee FCD (or remove the sizing ring).

I used to order Lee Taper Crimp dies what they were $10, as they were easily as good as any other. Now they cost as much as the FCD.

You should have been a progressive press user when almost all die sets were:

sizing

expand/decap

seat/crimp

and the sizing dies were all steel (so you had to lube all your cases) and there were NO powder-through dies.

• 3 months later...

I took Bill Wilson's advice from his "Combat Auto" book decades ago, and settled on .468-.469, and oal of 1,250 and it has worked in all pistols including Sig p220's that often wouldnt accept anything longer than 1.265 or so (sometimes less) depending on the bullet ogive.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, Dwbsig said:

Don’t get the Lee factory crimp die just get a Hornady or lee taper crimp die. The lee fcd will swage you lead bullets down to the size of jacketed bullets.

Good advice. I have both in different calibers. Both work fine. Get a Hornady taper crimp die and be done with it.