Glock 35 (KKM Stls Match bbl)

Hogdon Titegroup

Winchester Small Pistol Primers

1.125 OAL / .420 Taper Crimp

180 gr Truncated Cone Lead Valiant bullets

Mixed Headstamp Brass

20 shot strings

NOTES:

Round needed to be seated a hair shorter. was having some problems with the round not seating all the way. On last 2 loads recoil was stiff and saw signs of pressure with primer flatenning and rectangular swipe of firing pin.

** Denotes load chosen for IPSC major

(Most likely will settle on 4.0 grains of Tiegroup for IPSC Major)

$$ Denotes load chosen for IDPA SSP

Charge----------HI------------LO----------AVG---------ES--------SD----------PF

--gr-------------FPS-----------FPS---------FPS----------FPS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.0--------------787----------738---------762-----------49--------XX---------137 $$

3.2--------------830----------764---------797-----------65--------17---------143

3.5--------------888----------835---------855-----------53--------14---------154

3.7--------------925----------876---------893-----------49--------12---------160

3.9--------------939----------917---------927-----------22--------07---------167

4.1--------------973----------946---------960-----------27--------07---------173 **

4.3--------------1014---------982-------- 994-----------31--------08---------179

4.5--------------1024---------1004-------1013----------20--------06---------182

1.125 OAL

NOTES:

Round needed to be seated a hair shorter.  was having some problems with the round not seating all the way. 

Curious.

You really shouldn't be getting seating problems at that depth. Not at all. In fact, you ought to be able to go longer without issue. I'd look to find out why...

I will double check the rounds I have left over to make sure the OAL was as I stated. I did drop them in a case guage and they worked fine.

However, when I dropped a few in the KKM bbl chamber they were slightly above the hood of the bbl. I was assuming it was because they were long but I wil ldo more investigation this weekend.

Steven

Ps. Since this was pre KKM brass and mixed I did run it all through a EGW undersized die. I ended up having to lube them some to ease the resizing.

I'm getting ready to order something on the order of 32lbs of powder, and I'm teetering on the edge between N320 and tightgroup. The data looks good here, but have you done any group shooting comparisons? Just curious.

Is TG a little smokier/dirtier than N320?

Does it meter as well, the same, or better?

Maybe I'll just run down and graba pound to check it out for myslef... :)

TG meters well. It is not smokey at all. The dirtiness that people talk about is just a fine soot of discoloration. It is a non-factor.

People that talk about it being truly dirty and smokey are often shooting 45, lead, at less than full power.

I use TG in 40 with the Glock (KKM) for Major and Minor...USPSA, Steel Challenge, NRA Action-Pistol. I don't know if it is the most accurate or not. I do know that I am so happy with TG that the bottle of 320 that I have has never made it off the shelf for testing.

TG gives me pretty low Standard Deviations. As good as the numbers are, people tell me that their testing shows that 320 gives even better numbers.

Both are fantastic powders it seems.

Well, depending on the quote I get for 320 tomorrow, I may just have to go with TG... Shooting as much as I plan to next year, I could stand to save as much as I can when reasonable. I "knew" you were using TG, but it just took me a while to get around to looking at faster powders... Until I started thinking about open, I really never considered a faster powder for my Limited pistol...

Looks like I will stay in Limited for at least all of next year.... It'd probably take that long to take delivery on a custom open pistol anyway. ;)

Wonder if Cabela's has both powders? Haven't been to the new one here in Ft Worth... It'd be a good excuse. :)

Thanks Kyle...

I'm getting ready to order something on the order of 32lbs of powder, and I'm teetering on the edge between N320 and tightgroup.  The data looks good here, but have you done any group shooting comparisons?  Just curious.

Is TG a little smokier/dirtier than N320?

Does it meter as well, the same, or better?

Maybe I'll just run down and graba pound to check it out for myslef...  :)

I have not run any 320 or done group shooting comparisons. however, I like titegroup and chose it due to its reputation here as well as other shooters reccomendations. The fact that the cost is better and it meters extremely well for me and SD is low bears it out.

I did measure the chamber of the KKM bbl versus the Factory Glock. I measured it from the step in the chamber where the case headspaces to the end of the bbl chamber. The KKM was ~.007" shorter than the Glock BBL. I loaded 200 rounds at 1.115 and had no problems with function. I also checked te old rounds and they were 1.130 instead of the 1.125 I reported.

Later, Steven

I did measure the chamber of the KKM bbl versus the Factory Glock.  I measured it from the step in the chamber where the case headspaces to the end of the bbl chamber.  The KKM was ~.007" shorter than the Glock BBL.  I loaded 200 rounds at 1.115 and had no problems with function.  I also checked te old rounds and they were 1.130 instead of the 1.125 I reported.

Later, Steven

Thanks Steven...

Regarding the OAL of your test rounds. OAL is only tangentially important to the rounds actually fully seating to the headspacing step on a STOCK KKM barrel. The throat on a KKM is approximately 0.105". The seating depth of the bullet should hae very little to do with whether the round seats to the headspacing shoulder unless it is loaded out VERY long... significantly longer than a stock Glock mag will accept and/or feed.

If the chamber on you KKM is 0.007" shorter than the Glock barrel (assuming the Glock barrel is max SAAMI spec of 0.850"), then your chamber is set at 0.843".

If a round headspaces ABOVE the barrel hood face, then the likely causes for this on your short chamber are:

1) Brass in excess of 0.843" length after loading.

2) Case mouth not crimped sufficiently.

3) Over-sized bullet diameter and/or case wall thickness greater on some cases.

The BULLET itself as relates to OAL should NOT be touching the ramped lands and thus should not be what's causing the round to be headspacing above the barrel hood.

If you have ANY questions about this at all, please feel free to call/email me, as I have some experience working with this on G22/35 Glocks. :) (559)779-2944 cautery@montac.com

4.  The rounds could have a fat bellied base, as well.

Standles - Another thing to check might be the diameter of the loaded round the entire length of the seated bullet. Thick brass might bulge out where the bullet is seated enough to inhibit free chambering in a minimum dimension barrel. I had this problem with the .45 ACP Bar-Sto barrel in my Commander. The cure was a Lee FCD.

• 2 months later...

I have a puzzling question:

In an attempt to solve an accuray problem with my Para 16-40 I chroned some bullets I reloaded.

The velocity variations spread seems to be greater when shooting from a Para 16-40 than when shot through a Glock 35.

I chronoed 3 groups of rounds:

............. 4.2 gr......................4.5 gr................. 4.7 gr

Glock..... 882 (877 - 887)......919(908-936)......955(946-967)

Para...... 822 (807 - 828)......857(839-880)......936(897-968)

Temp is 40 degrees

Brass WW (second hand)

Primer WW small pistol primer

OAL is 1.135

Power TightGroup

Bullet Zero 180 gr JHP

My question is why are the velocity variations so much greater for the Para than for the

Glock 35?

Edited by 45gunner

I have a puzzling question:

In an attempt to solve an accuray problem with my Para 16-40 I chroned some bullets I reloaded.

The velocity variations spread seems to be greater when shooting from a Para 16-40 than when shot through a Glock 35.

I chronoed 3 groups of rounds:

............. 4.2 gr......................4.5 gr................. 4.7 gr

Glock..... 882 (877 - 887)......919(908-936)......955(946-967)

Para...... 822 (807 - 828)......857(839-880)......936(897-968)

Temp is 40 degrees

Brass WW (second hand)

Primer WW small pistol primer

OAL is 1.135

Power TightGroup

Bullet Zero 180 gr JHP

My question is why are the velocity variations so much greater for the Para than for the

Glock 35?

ANSWER: Superior platform, hexagonal rifling for better bullet-to-bore seal. :lol:

@4.2gr the Glock is 60fps faster and the deviation is 20fps vs 21fps

@4.5gr the Glock is 62fps faster and the deviation is 26fps vs 41fps

@4.7gr the Glock is 19fps faster and the deviation is 21fps vs 71fps

WOW did you really load 4.7gr TG for the Glock that has to be right there at the limit.

Real ANSWER: I don't know. Free bump.

• 2 months later...

Although I didn't own my Para .40 long enough to take the time to chrono loads through it, I've found the opposite when comparing my Glock 35 to my STIs. The STIs chrono about 50 fps HIGHER than my Glock.

• 1 year later...