Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diesel

TriggerT

It could also have something to do what there thermometer thingy pinting to smaller and smaller numbers, and the fact that heating oil and diesel are essentially the same thing.

The heating oil folks ahve to fill THEIR tanks before they fill customer tanks, and it's about that time.

I am averaging between $50 and $70 per day...every day - with my Powerstroke . I get about 16.5 in mixed driving. What is going on with the pricing? Did the big 3 offer up some EXTRA payolla to the politicos to get the pricies raised up enought to force everone to buy new and more efficent autos and trucks.

I just moved to Panama city florida and after the storms you could not find diesel no matter the price. I had to drive 45 miles to get my last tank @ $3.79 an gal. It is getting better with finding diesel but most stations have gas of and on.

Want relief? Its just a restaurant away:

www.greasecar.com

One time investment and no modification required beyond installation.

However, how will you deal with the guilt of cheating OPEC out of its petroleum revenue? Poor Chavez! Poor House of Saud!

Wish I owned a diesel & a home with a garage.

Edited by Carlos

It could also have something to do what there thermometer thingy pinting to smaller and smaller numbers, and the fact that heating oil and diesel are essentially the same thing.

The heating oil folks ahve to fill THEIR tanks before they fill customer tanks, and it's about that time.

There's the real answer. Correct, yes. Right, no. But that's the way it is. Big oil=Big money=Correct answer.

Respectfully,

A big oil whore

Shilling for big oil since '72

(family business, franchise)

I think the fact that it is the time of year where people are buying their heating oil is the right answer. Just really makes for a MAJOR pain in the pocket book.

Carlos,

As far as changing over to "Bio Diesel" or Frech Fry Diesel as some call it, there are some problems. One of which for those of use living in the midwest is that you can't start your Diesel engine on the Bio stuff when it is cold. Bio won't work worth a crap when it is cold. I looked into this a litle bit when i first got my PowerStroke, and while it might be the way to go eventually, I think Diesel will have to be closer to $5 a gallon before you start seeing it become more common.

Did the big 3 offer up some EXTRA payolla to the politicos to get the pricies raised up enought to force everone to buy new and more efficent autos and trucks.

Merlin, have you looked at GM's (or the other American auto manufaturer's) profits or sales the last couple month's? WAY down. While we do make several very economical 30 mpg + vehicles, and sales for those are up somewhat, the big profits are on full size utilities and trucks..... which are way off, partly due to gas prices.

GM is most assuredly NOT paying anyone to keep gas prices higher, we'd much rather have gas as cheap as possible.

Cheap gas = more Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Hummer sales..... :D

Now, as to price fixing and plots..... maybe we should look at the obscene profits the oil companies are reaping right now, all the while making excuses why they can't build more refineries to meet the demand..... I thought we had Anti-trust laws on the books that prevent price fixing at the industry level, but evidently we don't enforce them anymore. :angry:

Not just the envior-nuts... NOBODY wants a new refinery near them (except possibly those of us IN the industry)...

Shoot, here in the Barnett-Shale, we can't even get approvals for saltwater disposal wells... If you can't get rid of the salt water, you can't produce gas... (or oil, etc.)

Rich biotch, SUV drivin', soccer moms kill EVERY app with a letter writinf campaign to the Railroad Commission...

So can you imagine how many letters get written everytime someone tries to apply for the permits to break ground on a refinery?

NIMBY.... Well, get ready for $10.00/gal fuel prices. Wait til folks see their natual gas bills this winter.... and their electric bills (for natural gas fired generating facilities).

Frankly, the average US resident has become absolutely ignorant of how/what is necessary to produce domestic energy since the mid-80s...

I'm surrounded by refineries and tank farms. Not bad till they catch fire. Then it sucks plenty.

I wonder if new refineries will end up being constructed.

I don't think hybrids are the answer like everyone seems to think they are. They don't reduce the MPG very much, cost a lot more to buy, and no one seems to know what the long term maintenance costs are.

Heck, my old 3 cylinder Geo metro with a standard gas engine was within 5mpg of the Honda Insight. And I bet it woudl sell for half what one of those go for these days.

Ted

F*(k High fuel prices

they cant tell me it costs 2.5X more to make gas Today than it did a year and a half ago....that biodiesel may be the answer...but we have to remove the bloodthirsty bastards that are running the oil companys first..

I guess when they price us back into the stoneage and crash our fragile economy with this "hurricane destroyed 1 refinery, gas prices double" BS, nobody is gonna be able to blame anyone but the oil companys.

F*(k High fuel prices

they cant tell me it costs 2.5X more to make gas Today than it did a year and a half ago....that biodiesel may be the answer...but we have to remove the bloodthirsty bastards that are running the oil companys first..

if screw-the-consumer attitudes are so prevalent at all the oil companies, i wonder why prices weren't at today's levels 2 or 3 or 10 years ago? did the oil companies just become evil after the hurricanes?

it certainly does not cost 2.5x more to make gas today compared to 2 years ago. but the supply of refined gasoline has definitely been affected by the hurricanes. with supplies down, if prices didnt go up, there's a very real chance that you wouldnt be able to buy gas at all. sure, there are some extra profits for someone built into these higher prices, but the benefit you get is having gas available (bacause at higher prices people start to conserve...).

OK, first off I am not complaining about gas prices. Big difference currently between gas and diesel.

As stated above, I feel the current crunch on diesel is because of it being the time of the year where people are stocking up on heating fuel for the coming winter.

I feel the rise in fuel prices is a multi-level problem. First, the demand for oil has gone up on a global level, since China and India are using more oil than they ever have in the past, and the rest of the countries of the world sure as hell aren't using any less.

Second, we have not built any new refineries in close to 30 years. Crude oil could be selling for $5 a barrle, but if we don't have the capacity to refine the oil into the fuels we need it wont make a difference.

Lastely, let's face it, the oil companies ARE making record profits right now. Not normal percentage profits, but a substantial amount more than they have in the past. I don't blame them for for making money, that is what they are in business for. However, there comes a point where they are working together to monopolize the market.

Rant done!