Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred 9mm Major dies

donorfs

I just got my first open gun and I'm going to set up a dedicated 9 major tool head for my 750. I've been using the standard dillon carbide dies for 9 minor, should I stick with those or are there better options?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How did you get consistent OAL with the Dillon Seating Die? Mine are all over the place with 9mm.
How much variation is all over the place? Mine seem to hold pretty consistent within a couple thousandths.

10 minutes ago, adamastergunner said:

I want a redding competition micrometer seating die. Though everyone is out of 9mm.

It’s a good thing they aren’t really needed to get consistent reloads.😊

though I'm loading for 9mm minor, not major - I didn't see much difference in OAL consistency going from Dillon to Redding - but it's much easier to adjust the Redding. One exception was Xtreme jacketed bullets, my OAL was all over the place with Dillon and cleaned up some with Redding. I suspect its probably more to do with the seater stem shape and where it contacts the ogive. I also have the new Lyman PRo series with a micrometer adjustment. It's beefier than the Redding. Very heavy. It has two different stems - one for RN and one for FP.  Looks very promising. Maybe that's an option for you if you can't find  Redding in stock. Edited to add - I have't tried the Lyman Pro's yet. I'll see if I can time this weekend to try them out.

Lyman Seater.jpg

Lyman Seater2.jpg

Edited by OptimiStick
spelling

I was able to get individual dies from Lyman, and I got a full Lyman pack from Mark7.(Universal Decapper, Flare, Crimp, Seater, Universal hold-down, and sizing)  So they can be found if you go that route. The sizing die does have a decapping pin in it also. The decapping pin in the universal decapper and the sizing die have threaded caps with a spring at the top to hold the stem in, like Mighty  Armory, vs the collet/tension you see like on a Lee (or I think Dillon. Can't remember). The flare die is a universal flare like a Lee, not a powder-thru funnel.

though I'm loading for 9mm minor, not major - I didn't see much difference in OAL consistency going from Dillon to Redding - but it's much easier to adjust the Redding. One exception was Xtreme jacketed bullets, my OAL was all over the place with Dillon and cleaned up some with Redding. I suspect its probably more to do with the seater stem shape and where it contacts the ogive. I also have the new Lyman PRo series with a micrometer adjustment. It's beefier than the Redding. Very heavy. It has two different stems - one for RN and one for FP.  Looks very promising. Maybe that's an option for you if you can't find  Redding in stock. Edited to add - I have't tried the Lyman Pro's yet. I'll see if I can time this weekend to try them out.

195880764_LymanSeater.jpg.a6e423aaf4f65e2b93b3fc6d82a30a3e.jpg
1668329706_LymanSeater2.jpg.d0c0e5e544976d316e21e6ec504ee56d.jpg
Xtreme bullets are all I use and so if it is the bullet give not seating well that sux. I love Xtreme bullets.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I really like the Dillon dies. So if you're not having any issues with them, I wouldn't switch.

If I did switch, I'd get a set from ch4d(which is what I use) they're fantastic tool and die makers, but their dies are old school. They remind me of my Lyman dies grim the 60's, so no micrometer seater. And with a dedicated tool head, you'll only need the micrometer once really, so I see no benefit of having one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, adamastergunner said:

Is Lyman still at work? Went to their website and it has a COVID notice about shipping.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

yeah. There was a little delay, but they got to me about a week after I ordered them. they did send an incorrect die,and answered email and issued RMA the next day and sent out correct one. That was like...2 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, nhyrum said:

I really like the Dillon dies. So if you're not having any issues with them, I wouldn't switch.

If I did switch, I'd get a set from ch4d(which is what I use) they're fantastic tool and die makers, but their dies are old school. They remind me of my Lyman dies grim the 60's, so no micrometer seater. And with a dedicated tool head, you'll only need the micrometer once really, so I see no benefit of having one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's funny.  For such an exacting science, reloading is so subjective. While I don't disagree with you - I like Dillon dies too, over the years I've found others at each station that I like just a little better. So I have no more Dillon dies in any of my toolheads anymore. People will swear by their dies, their powder choice, their bullet choice, their primer choice, their press choice. And for the most part it's based off personal opinion/experience. I think the reality is - they all work to some degree.

7 hours ago, mastergunner said:

How did you get consistent OAL with the Dillon Seating Die? Mine are all over the place with 9mm.

Sort your brass by headstamp. Doing so will reduced variation in OAL.

i been shooting 9mm Major since they allowed it in USPSA.  Im using the same LEE 9mm dies that came with my press.  Now I have a Mark7 and i have consistant OAL.  I like 1.135 with a + or - of .003  I use  range brass, and RMR 124 JHP bullets.

i been shooting 9mm Major since they allowed it in USPSA.  Im using the same LEE 9mm dies that came with my press.  Now I have a Mark7 and i have consistant OAL.  I like 1.135 with a + or - of .003  I use  range brass, and RMR 124 JHP bullets.

1.135 seems like a very short OAL for 9 major. What powder and gun setup are you using?

1 hour ago, donorfs said:

1.135 seems like a very short OAL for 9 major. What powder and gun setup are you using?

I have a very old TRI 2011 that was originally 38 super. It now has a Brazos topend using his side and one piece barrel and comp.  I use 7gr of CFE Pistol and RMR 124gr JHP