Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Bipods?

RickT

I watched a clip online of a competitor in a PCC-only high level match.  He shot the entire stage with a full extended bipod flopping around and used same for one target set requiring shooting under a barrier.  I've seen mention of bipods in multi-gun, but are bipods generally allowed in PCC and would it be legal to deploy same as I've described?  The required shots appeared to be at a greater than handgun distance.  If I ever encounter this situation in my occasional foray into PCC I'll just deal with the ground using my natural points of contact.

There are some PPC-only matches that require shooting targets at longer distances. I can see the advantage of a bipod in such events but, on most USPSA matches where targets are placed at average distances of 7 to 20 yards, I do not believe that a bipod offers an advantage.

I was surprised that the bipod was not only deployed, but fully extended during the entire stage.  The legs looked to be at least 18" long, but that's a call for the RO.

10 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

So what should the RO call? Is it permitted?

Asked and answered ... As to length: I don't recall there ever being a stated minimum or maximum length for bipods (or shooting sticks for that matter.)

Assuming this was a PCC match, or just a PCC in a regular HG match, the RO should say nothing.  If it's a MG match and the shooter had previously declared something other than Open, it's "Welcome to Open." (Though the RO really should have caught it BEFORE the shooter started the CoF!)

15 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Asked and answered ... As to length: I don't recall there ever being a stated minimum or maximum length for bipods (or shooting sticks for that matter.)

Assuming this was a PCC match, or just a PCC in a regular HG match, the RO should say nothing.  If it's a MG match and the shooter had previously declared something other than Open, it's "Welcome to Open." (Though the RO really should have caught it BEFORE the shooter started the CoF!)

Mike. I'm so glad you're here.

Be well.

20 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Bumping to Open, never made much sense to me, many top shooters will still place nearly the same . A big time penalty makes much more sense, and is what we have done in outlaw for many years.

The question asked was "what should the RO CALL?" That is what I answered.

If you believe a bump to Open makes less sense than a big time penalty I ask: Where were you when the rule were being drafted and subsequently posted for everyone to review?  I can personally promise you no such recommendation was received or discussed.

Folks, if you don't speak up, don't expect your ideas to be considered much less incorporated.  FWIW, posting here does NOT qualify as speaking up.  You need to contact your SC, AD, and/or DNROI to give the your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...