Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

121 grn jhp vs. 124 grn jhp

Glock17open

I have been shooting a 124 grn jhp over 6.9 of wac with wspm primers. At 1400 fps and a power factor of 173.  Is there any advance to shooting the 121 grn jhp?

The 124 work great no problems, just want to know if the 121 provide any advantage.

4 minutes ago, Glock17open said:

I have been shooting a 124 grn jhp over 6.9 of wac with wspm primers. At 1400 fps and a power factor of 173.  Is there any advance to shooting the 121 grn jhp?

The 124 work great no problems, just want to know if the 121 provide any advantage.

Not really. I have used them but the weight is so close to a 124 that the difference won’t be really noticeable. Big difference dropping to 115’s but not to a 121.

Where did you find a 121 JHP? Do you mean 121 IFP from Montana Gold?

4 minutes ago, Glock17open said:

The 121, from Montana gold. I don't like the 115's.

Ok just FYI that’s not a JHP. It’s a flat point bullet IFP(International Flat Point).

Trivia- the 121 IFP IS A 115 JHP With a drop of lead in the hollow point.

Hornady has a 121 HAP as well but it's so hard to tell the difference I just used 125s.

Dates back to when IPSC decided too light bullets at Major were too hard on steel and ROs and installed a 120gr minimum weight limit, so people used to 115's wanted the closest thing they could still get, which is why Montana Gold named theirs the 'International Flat Point', after the "I" in IPSC.   JHPs were prohibited for civilian users in some countries as well so filling the cavity up with lead made sense there too.

10 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

I use the Zero 121 JHP. It’s sized .356”

After I run out of them, I’ll switch to 124 JHPs as they are easier to find.

Which is why I asked about the 121 JHP. I knew ZERO makes them but damn, I have only seen a full case of ZEROS ONCE! 😂