Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .40 Single-stack Mag?

richardschennberg

Has anyone had jam-free results with a particular brand of .40 single-stack 1911 magazine?

Which is the best for Single-Stack Division (flush 8 or 9-rounder, loaded to 8 for major power factor)?

Which is the best for Limited/Limited-10 (extended 10 or 10+ rounders)?

Where can we buy them?

Richard

Schennberg.com

Richard,

I am still shooting the Trojan .40 I got from you. I use Metalform 10mm mags with the nylon follower, and I have 4 of them that are flawless. I also have a McCormick 10mm mag that is flawless. I have two Metlaform .40 mags that work great too. My recommendation is the 9 round 10mm mags loaded at 8, as that is the best performance I have seen for function and reloading. I have MecGar that is not so great in function, but works fine as a barney mag or loaded with 7 in it. Wilson 47D .45 mags work, but not reliably with 8 rounds in them.

I had this gun hardchromed by Virgil Tripp. I did a little polish work on the feedramp to remove a bump and improve the angle, and installed an Aftec extractor. I have only used this gun at steel challenge and informal practice, but will be running it a great deal next year as a secondary interest. My OAL is 1.150 with Zero 180 JHPs.

You can get the Metalform 9-round 10mm mags with nylon follower from Brownell's. McCormicks can be purchased lots of places, like Shooter's Connection, Brownell's, local shops, etc. Any of these mags work in my gun, but sometimes new mags require a little polishing on top of the feed lips, or several trips over them with the slide to be smooth.

Since pistols may vary, I would recommend ordering these mags one at a time until you find one that works, then get more of the ones that work best. That is how I ended up with a few different varieties.

I use the McCormick 10-round .45 mags to load up 10 rounds of .40 in my Trojan. For the record, they feed ten rounds of .40 OK, but shoving in the extra round to get eleven (which will fit in the mag) causes nosedives on the first round.

I shoot factory .40 ammo, so I assume "loading long" would improve the feeding.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

I also use the 45ACP McCormick 10-round Power mags in a 1911. They feed much better than any 40 cal mag I've tried to date. It also allows you to load long if your chamber can take it, which really improved feeding in my gun. The only problem I'm having is about half the time the slide locks open with one round still in the mag which is due to the follower coming up higher with a 40 cal round than a 45 round.

I have a question posted on this forum about the best fix for the problem, but I'm still thinking about what I want to modify to fix the problem. If you go this route you will probably have to deal with this also. So far the choices are, bend the followers lower tang down to clear the slide stop pad, replace the followers with something else, or file the underside of the slide stop pad were it contacts the follower.

Good luck on making a decision.

Steve

Richard,

I use Metalform 10rd 10mm mags(steel follower) since I load to 1.2"OAL. They have worked flawlessly. The Metalform 9 rd mags with the nylon follower usually need to have the follower tuned, and the Metalform 8rd magzines with thestel folower also work great.

Rodney

• 2 months later...

My Trojan and I participate at SSC every year and again this year (its so addicting). I use Mc Cormick 10mm. I use the same load as my limited so the oal i am using is 1.200. My mc cormick mags are flawless. I have 10 mags and theyre all reliable. The only thing I did was to convert it to 8 rounder so the RO's and the other competitors cant question the capacity.