Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to ship a gun?

twister

11 hours ago, Carmoney said:

Let me be crystal clear on this:  Handguns can only be shipped through USPS if both sender and recipient are licensees.  That means FFLs on both ends.  I am an attorney and FFL-holder, and I am telling you the law is plenty clear on this subject.  Don't mess around with this stuff.  

Exactly!  spend a few extra bucks shipping it and save a boatload of money in legal fees if you listen to anyone other than the feds.

One of my local FFLs only chages $25 to ship.  Even with the transfer that's cheaper than using Fedex or UPS.

The downside is that it has to be shipped back to the FFL, so if they aren't conveniently located with good hours, then that makes it a hassle.

13 hours ago, Carmoney said:

Let me be crystal clear on this:  Handguns can only be shipped through USPS if both sender and recipient are licensees.  That means FFLs on both ends.  I am an attorney and FFL-holder, and I am telling you the law is plenty clear on this subject.  Don't mess around with this stuff.  

You are saying that even though the law does not require an FFL on the shipping end when using Fed-Ex or UPS, the law (not USPS regulations) requires an FFL on the shipping end when using USPS?

It is surprising that the law would be written to single out one of the three most common shipping options.  

On 4/17/2020 at 6:42 AM, revoman said:

Unless you are sending the part such as the frame or receiver that has the serial number on it. Then it is just parts. Best I found is to take with me a copy of UPS or FedEx rules for shipping firearms that way when you encounter a anti gun or a misinformed clerk. Pop out the company rules and federal guidelines. I also do this when I fly with a firearm saves a lot of hassle 

Agree on taking a copy of the rules.  I also escalate to a supervisor the second I get pushback from a clerk.  Not going to argue with someone who clearly doesn't know what he or she's talking about

For the sake of clarity, just because a part has the gun's serial number doesn't mean a firearm is being shipped.  US law is clear a handgun's frame is the firearm.  Everything else, regardless of whether it's match serialized to the frame or not, is just parts.  Many European countries require that slides be serialized to match the frame.  That means nothing here.

7 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

You are saying that even though the law does not require an FFL on the shipping end when using Fed-Ex or UPS, the law (not USPS regulations) requires an FFL on the shipping end when using USPS?

It is surprising that the law would be written to single out one of the three most common shipping options.  

One is a government operation, the other two are not.   39 CFR 113.1 says these particular USPS regulations are included in the law.

2 hours ago, shred said:

One is a government operation, the other two are not.   39 CFR 113.1 says these particular USPS regulations are included in the law.

Apparently then, the government has more trust in the private sector :) .