Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

224 valkyrie question

1911vm

Good day. Can you guys school me on 224 valkyrie. I want to build a SPR.  I want something that can reach out no problem to 600. A friend told me about this caliber.  Everything that I read in the past few hours basically says that it has flatter trajectory.  

in gas gun/prs matches out to 800 yds it's a pretty good caliber.  flat, lower recoil/muzzle jump.  good supply of good factory match ammo (hornady eld-m, federal gold medal).  i put together a 24" on a mega mkm xl upper & lower and rainier ultra match +2 barrel, very nice shooter.

I have a 24 inch x caliber 1:6.5 barrel on mine. Nearly no recoil with +2 gas tube, adjustable gas block, and a brake. 

.224v is a picky caliber and it will probably take some patience to find a really good load. The most popular load is Hornady 80 eldm with H4895. 

Ultimate reloader has a website and YouTube channel with 224v info and there are two Facebook groups with info

be4142239a61512609249fc9ffe8f177.jpg

10 hours ago, 1911vm said:

Good day. Can you guys school me on 224 valkyrie. I want to build a SPR.  I want something that can reach out no problem to 600. A friend told me about this caliber.  Everything that I read in the past few hours basically says that it has flatter trajectory.  

It's fun to shoot with basically 223 level of recoil but better ballistics while staying within the small frame (AR-15) sized rifle. Most guys around here just dropped an upper on their lowers to try them out. If you're thinking of shooting precision gas gun matches that go out to 600-800 or want to shoot steel silhouettes it's a fun caliber. There's also quite a bit of quality ammo available and it suppresses well. You will want to build based on quality parts for sure though. Just like any AR, don't expect superior accuracy from a bargain basement product. 

As a fun visual, here's the calculated ballistics inside of 800 yards for Sierra 77's in Federal 223 vs Sierra 90's in Federal Valkyrie. The Valk has less bullet drop and less wind drift (10 mph wind) than the 223.

valk.png.6dfb8d0c7498fd3024d14b2a8d0602b6.png

45 minutes ago, Tom Freeman said:

Kinda of a pain to load for.  Expensive brass.

Just load up some 77s in your 223 and spend some more time at the range shooting at distance.

Unless you just want a new caliber.  Then go for it.

my friend just told me the same thing LOL . i don want   a new caliber. but as i am starting from scratch i can do what ever , so i was just wondering if its a better choice out there. 

25 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

It's fun to shoot with basically 223 level of recoil but better ballistics while staying within the small frame (AR-15) sized rifle. Most guys around here just dropped an upper on their lowers to try them out. If you're thinking of shooting precision gas gun matches that go out to 600-800 or want to shoot steel silhouettes it's a fun caliber. There's also quite a bit of quality ammo available and it suppresses well. You will want to build based on quality parts for sure though. Just like any AR, don't expect superior accuracy from a bargain basement product. 

As a fun visual, here's the calculated ballistics inside of 800 yards for Sierra 77's in Federal 223 vs Sierra 90's in Federal Valkyrie. The Valk has less bullet drop and less wind drift (10 mph wind) than the 223.

valk.png.6dfb8d0c7498fd3024d14b2a8d0602b6.png

so i am still learning scopes Mil/ min ETC . so what this chart is showing basically is i need to adjust turret a bit more with .223 ? I have a HDMR scope with  h59 ratical. so i can  just do my holdovers without actual adjustment on the turret correct?

image.png.2775a721a35ebe5fbfce656a93b9051c.png

Edited by 1911vm

Either way but generally 3 gunners hold over and PRS shooters dial. Depends on the accuracy needed, time, number of allowed shots etc.

More hold on wind matters more since wind is variable and difficult to accurately estimate over distance. Drop or elevation is more or less known and will be accurate with the correct variables put in. 

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Either way but generally 3 gunners hold over and PRS shooters dial. Depends on the accuracy needed, time, number of allowed shots etc.

More hold on wind matters more since wind is variable and difficult to accurately estimate over distance. Drop or elevation is more or less known and will be accurate with the correct variables put in. 

Yeah, but not every bullet comes out of the muzzle at exactly the same velocity. The flatter a cartridge shoots, the less a variance from the mean velocity, or the less a wind call mistake, affects your shot.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, 1911vm said:

so i am still learning scopes Mil/ min ETC . so what this chart is showing basically is i need to adjust turret a bit more with .223 ? I have a HDMR scope with  h59 ratical. so i can  just do my holdovers without actual adjustment on the turret correct?

looking at the wind chart above, the valk has 1.2 mils less wind effect at 800 yds.  that is very roughly a YARD difference at that 800yds.  given that wind reading/calling is not an exact science (to put it mildly), that gives you a lot more cushion vs .223/5.56.  most will hold left or right and not dial for wind given its variability, and dial for elevation/distance if time permits, or hold for that also if time is tight.

you're going to dial or hold with either caliber, so dialing or holding a little less or more isn't really the issue.  the flatter trajectory just buys you more cushion if your distance or wind calls are off some.