Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major In A Glock 35

Bill Rosenthal

Just wondering all new stuff to me I was planning to reload at min at first than move up.

Not commitied to Dillon you have to buy dies for the 550 anyway I just want to know when I buy dies they work for the 40 in my Glock? Do you have these Lee dies or should I say do you reload 40's with those dies with out any problems?

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering all new stuff to me I was planning to reload at min at first than move up.

Not commitied to Dillon you have to buy dies for the 550 anyway I just want to know when I buy dies they work for the 40 in my Glock? Do you have these Lee dies or should I say do you reload 40's with those dies with out any problems?

You can use the Lee dies in the Dillion 550 but I don't believe Dillion will recommend that. The Lee dies typically will do the seating and crimping with the same die, which can cause problems and case buckling. Dillion recommends their die becuase the seating and crimping are done with seperate dies, eliminating the afore mentioned problem and providing a more consistent seat and crimp. Also, the O-Ring on the Lee dies will sometimes allow the dies to loosen and move with time.

I went through exactly the same thing you are talking about and after considering everything, I just bought the Dillion dies. Looking back, it was the right choice in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
Glock 35 - 4.6 TG, makes a 168, so I load 4.7.. OAL 1.125 - that's with plated (everything stock, about 1,000 rounds through it)

4.2 gets me 158PF

Everytime I see Flex's load, it makes me wonder why it's so different.

This is the exact same number myu G35 with a stock barrel does.

Glock 35 - 4.6 TG, makes a 168, so I load 4.7.. OAL 1.125 - that's with plated (everything stock, about 1,000 rounds through it)

4.2 gets me 158PF

This is the exact same number myu G35 with a stock barrel does.

So I guess what we are saying is that the stock barrel is slower than a kkm barrel? 4.3 grains of TG at 1.135 is getting around 171PF through a kkm barrel

• 4 years later...

4.2 gets me 158PF

I got pretty much the same results last weekend. 4.3gr Titegroup only got me 162 PF at 1.135 with 180gr zero JHP. Maybe it's manufacturing variances?

• 2 years later...

4.3 gr of TG and any brand of 180 makes Major out of both of my G35s. I load to a 1.125" OAL.

Thats why the 4.8 of titegroup was like a freakin cannon out of my 35!!!

Geez, I should have chrnoed and started low. Even the 4.6 gr of titegroup still beats my wrist.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats why the 4.8 of titegroup was like a freakin cannon out of my 35!!!

4.8gr TG is above Hodgdon's recommended load data. Out of me G35 I can make PF with 4.3gr of TG (though I prefer to load 4.5gr which puts me closer to 170PF).

I'm using anywhere between 6.0 and 6.2 grains of Silhouette out of my 5" M&P. 6.0 at 1.125 just makes major, 6.2 at 1.16 barely makes it as well. Waiting on a shipment of powder since I ran out and then I will do more testing at shorter lengths with 6.2 to get to that 171PF sweet spot. Silhouette is extremely soft and gives big gains with smaller setbacks. I tried loading up N320 but couldn't get anything nearly as soft since there's too much pressure at 1.16 and lower. At 1.16 with 6.2 of Silhouette I was right around 165PF, at 1.125 I was at 181PF So i'll probably settle at 1.145 and call it a day. Extremely accurate as well and meters great through an Autodisk or Dillon measure.

You probably shouldn't start off trying to load to Major, especially in 40.

If you have a Glock 23, I'd suggest shooting it in Production to start off with. Load to Minor power factor, instead of Major. (everybody shoots Minor in Production)

180's

3.6g of TiteGroup

@ 1.135 OAL

Unless you are on a SDB, skip the Dillon dies and get a Lee 4-die set ...which includes the FCD (Factory Crimp Die). A lot cheaper as well.

This load is my IDPA ESP load and runs the G35 fine using the stock recoil spring and guide rod. PF = 150. I run the PF because it will cycle my 1911 with the stock spring.

For my USPSA major load I bump up the powder charge to 4.6gr. PF = 177