Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo3 XL empty case jams

Lastcat

Just got a Romeo3 XL with the Atlas mount. Very nice large glass. Went out today to dial in the dot and get some practice. Have this mounted to my CK Arms Hardcore open gun (9lb recoil). Everglades 124 with 7.6 of Power Pistol @ 1.160 (170 pf).

Did great, except for 2 spent cases out of 200 got stuck under the Atlas mount and the slide, argh! 🤔

When I ran a Cheely mount with the Deltapoint, never a stuck case. Seems the Atlas mount is about 3/8" just farther back over the ejection port than the setup previously used with the DPP. No knock against Romeo or Atlas, just hope it doesn't bite me in the buttocks during a Match. Haven't looked yet for another mount yet, has anyone ran into this small issue before?

n4y3L4d.jpg

30 minutes ago, EddieCrispo said:

Re angle your ejector slightly until it stops hitting the mount

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks, found this site by Rob Londrigan (Tuning Extractor/Ejector). http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection perfection.htm

Took my Extractor apart and found 1 of the 2 smaller springs came out in 3 pieces, dang 😮. So I'll hunt done a replacement and see if that was the problem all along. Bummer too, got a few Matches this weekend. 

The Ejector looks a bit rounded over. Might file that per Londrigan's instructions, or just get a new one. 

Edited by Lastcat

5 minutes ago, clw42 said:

You may be able to run it with one spring in the position closer to the ejection port.

Thanks clw, got lucky. Talked to a friend nearby, got 2 coming tomorrow, hope this works. 

10 hours ago, clw42 said:

You may be able to run it with one spring in the position closer to the ejection port.

Actually, if you are going to run one spring, it goes in the rear. 

Edited by echotango

2 hours ago, echotango said:

All mine are all slightly forward compared(same mount as yours). Difference is where your mount holes were drilled. 

20200305_072557.jpg

Nice. You could be right. When I had the DPP and the Cheely mount, that was about the gap over the Port I saw. I also thought about just moving the mount ahead by 1 hole, or adding a new hole 3/8" forward. When I get the new springs installed, I'll see how that goes, if all else fails, I'll just move the mount. Thanks. 

Edited by Lastcat

52 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

Nice. You could be right. When I had the DPP and the Cheely mount, that was about the gap over the Port I saw. I also thought about just moving the mount ahead by 1 hole, or adding a new hole 3/8" forward. When I get the new springs installed, I'll see how that goes, if all else fails, I'll just move the mount. Thanks. 

You could definitely get 1 hole drilled in front and all issues should go away. It only takes 1 malfunction to ruin a match. 

13 minutes ago, echotango said:

You could definitely get 1 hole drilled in front and all issues should go away. It only takes 1 malfunction to ruin a match. 

I've been lucky so far in 2 years, knock on wood, but that would for sure suck. Think I might just do that anyways. I have a #5-40 tap coming Sat. 

Remove Slide, attach your mount. Get a 1/8" Transfer Punch and insert that into the forward hole of the mount. Strike a mark. Remove mount. Drill a #38 hole. Use a counter sink and cut a slight chamfer to the hole (doesn't need much, easy). Get your tap and some oil. Tap slowly. Make a turn and back it out to clear the chips if you meet any resistance. Being this small of a hole, one might be able to tap in one step. Then get the hole cleaned out, Alcohol, Brake Cleaner, Lacquer Thinner, etc... Red Loctite your mount. If I go this route, I might just post pics here. HTH

1 hour ago, rishii said:

Have you thought about just getting a cheely mount for it, and selling your old one

that'll beat drilling another hole in your gun

Yep. Looked at one online. Just got this Atlas ($99), Cheely would be another $110. It's an option for sure. Thinking about getting 2 new springs for the Extractor and see where it leads. 

10 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

Yep. Looked at one online. Just got this Atlas ($99), Cheely would be another $110. It's an option for sure. Thinking about getting 2 new springs for the Extractor and see where it leads. 

Also the cheely could be the same as the atlas and not necessarily like your previous cheely.  The R3 XL and Max are a little longer and they could be moving them back to stay in the same area as the other sights(rts2/dpp, etc). I would not buy one unless you can actually see the difference in person.  Perhaps you can have Matt measure a point of reference and compare the two prior to trying it out.  

Edited by echotango

Just an update. Did a 9 stage 240 round Match today. Only had 1 case get stuck, not bad, but needs to improve. Did get springs for the Extractor. On to the Ejector, see what can be done.