Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help finding a mid level 1-6 scope

Dchi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love my Swampfox.  The glass seems as good as vortex to my eyes, and it has more features for less money.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/arrowhead-lpvo-series

I got the 1-10 Red BDC, and the ix was clear enough to use in a 3-gun match for all close-up targets.  It's not as fast as a red-dot, but it's close.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:22 AM, Frankly said:

Even when you can afford more $ it's hard to pick a scope. I had a Razor II (not the "e"), the bright dot is amazing and glass/build is excellent... but it's a heavy beast. And I grew to hate that zoom ring even with a throw lever. WTF were they thinking?

Somebody find me a 16-18 ounce 1-6 SFP with the Razor's brightness, glass and build quality... with good customer service. I don't think it exists. 

Still, the $2K Razor IIe is down from 26 to 21.5oz and the new $3K Razor III 1-10 is the same 21.5oz. That's awesome but it's $3K. 

Refurbished Vortex: https://aaoptics.com/Refurbished-_c_93.html have had two great scopes from them. 

IMO the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 BRT rules that segment. At slightly below 16 oz with a huge FOV and very bright dot, it's perhaps the fastest scope out there. It loses some magnification to the 1-8x and 1-10x options, but it's at least 2 oz lighter than those as well as cheaper. Zoom is smooth, too! 

Don't know about their customer service in the US, but here in Europe it's great though there might be up to 2-4 weeks turnaround time. 

17 hours ago, mrd said:

IMO the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 BRT rules that segment. At slightly below 16 oz with a huge FOV and very bright dot, it's perhaps the fastest scope out there. It loses some magnification to the 1-8x and 1-10x options, but it's at least 2 oz lighter than those as well as cheaper. Zoom is smooth, too! 

Don't know about their customer service in the US, but here in Europe it's great though there might be up to 2-4 weeks turnaround time. 

Haha yeah you may cost me some money. They also own Kahles so I'll watch some reviews but that's the good stuff

On 2/24/2020 at 7:22 PM, Frankly said:

Somebody find me a 16-18 ounce 1-6 SFP with the Razor's brightness, glass and build quality... with good customer service. I don't think it exists. 

The Leupold VX-6 with illuminated circle dot is still my favorite 3-gun scope. Weighs 16 oz, 

I also have a Razor 1-6 E with the JM reticle. Its my second favorite. Also have a strike eagle 1-8, and if the illumination was daylight bright would be higher on my list of favorites. 

I used to own a Z6i and Meopta, Burris, Bushnell and Trijicon. All gone as none of those suited my tastes for one reason or another.

The fact of the matter is, there's a lot of good quality scopes these days. Theres no one size fits all scope. You gotta try a bunch to find what's perfect for you. The glass on even the least expensive is as good as the best scopes made 25 years ago. 

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased my Razor from Camera Land several years ago. Called them and negotiated a lower price- scope was a demo. Got it for about $1000 shipped, no tax. If they have one in stock, they may be willing to cut you a deal.

Put it on a one piece extended mount. I have found this type to be the most secure and stable- negotiated a price with planet optics several years ago for a 30mm JP- free shipping and no tax.

• 2 weeks later...